Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS v6 owners check this out

rcnugget

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2 Exec
no you just got a lemon,

I had huge alternator problems when i got my car with a 150 amp draw from my stereo I burnt this wire twice .. lesson learnt I 0 gauged the cable direct to my battery bank with a gold plated titanium lug only $28 for the lug from stinger and 4ga between the batteries ... now the alternator has to do very little work thankfully

HK-VS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ECOTEC
Thanks for the info guys.

jakewaze

Jakewaze
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Spack S1 Auto
S'pose most of the kids here are flat out knowing what a alternator looks like!
I'm a 16 yr old "kid" and know exactly wat an alternator is and looks like.:w00t:

aceventura

Doesn't drive like this
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mazda 6
I have a VS and I had the same problem with my alternator. Noticed that the temp gauge was reading low, and then the auto transmission started shifting strangely when I lifted my foot off the accelerator. Pulled off the freeway at the first place I could and stopped the car - of course I couldn't get it started again after that. No doubt the low voltage light in the dash was showing, but I have troubling seeing those lights with sunglasses on. In future if I see the temp gauge reading unusually low I will be quick to check that light.

Anyways, the NRMA guy came and soon diagnosed the problem when I told him the symptoms. He cleared away some crud at the back of the alternator and tightened the connection and I drove away fine. I knew the eyelet terminal that connected the cable to the alternator was a bit worse for wear, but forgot about it. I was at an autoelectrician about a year later for another reason and asked them to replace the damaged connnector. They had a look, pulled the alternator out and showed it to me. Everything was melted and rusty from overheating, I have no idea how it was still working. So they replaced the alternator and now I know to keep an eye on it - however the auto electrician said they put a spring washer on it to stop it happening again, something that Holden overlooked according to them.

maccar11

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs bt1 commodore
vs bt1

hey there i was wondering if any you guys could help me out i was wondering wat do u look for in a vs bt1 to c if it is a bt1 4 sure and wat accessiories i have vs bt1 5 liter ppl r saying it could be how can i find out if it is if u can help me out i would appriate it alot thanks macca ...

aceventura

Doesn't drive like this
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mazda 6
Hey mate, i know this is abit old but ey, im only saying thanks. SO yeah.. thanks! lol ill go and check my VS now, prob do the conversion now too

Might seem obvious, but make sure you disconnect the battery terminals before going near the alternator with a spanner, or it will be just like new years eve fireworks under your bonnet.:yeah:

Chalky01

Hose Technician.. HAHA
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2
Might seem obvious, but make sure you disconnect the battery terminals before going near the alternator with a spanner, or it will be just like new years eve fireworks under your bonnet.:yeah:

Haha, Thanks anyways mate. Im working on my VS with my pop, hes been a mechanic since he was my age, so yeah, even if i was the careless 16 yr old, i hope he'd end up pulling me up, lol :whistling

paulsautoelec

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr ute
replace the red wire from alernator to battery it is spliced near the curcuit breakers. the best way is to run a new wire from alt to battery and battery to circuit breakers including new bettery clamp. run the new wire directfrom alt to bat not not under the alt & past the front of the head there is a lot of heat there.be sure to cover new wiring with covoluted tube or similar heat sheilding material problem solved. you may even find your headlights willbe brighter too