Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vs v8 auto trans problem

moneypit

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs calais
Hey guy's
Recently bought a v8 auto and have been tidying some stuff up on it. Among other stuff it had a trans service which I guess was just filter and fluid. Fluid is clean and at the right level. Speedo says just under 200K but who knows these days.
Anyhow, the trans seems to work ok with normal (light throttle) driving, torque converter lock up seems ok as well, when you slow for roundabouts and such it behaves as you would expect.
But when you floor it from 3rd to kick back to 2nd, well it virtualy revs to the redline, like pushing a clutch in, then it will pick up 2nd gear and boom, away we go! sounds exciting aye, but really it's crap! 4th back to 3rd seems normal ? Seems to upchange ok through the gears when you go from a standstill, only seems a problem on kickdown.

Really hoping one of you guru's can give me a real good idea if it sounds simple or if trans is dying.

Cheers

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I had a tune done for mine, and that's exactly what it did. Put the stock Memcal back in and it was perfect again. Now I have a different Memcal and the auto's still perfect, so something was definitely wrong with the original tune I had burnt.

All upshifts were good and 4-3 kickdown was good. It was only the 3-2 kickdown it did it, as you described it would rev to redline for a few seconds and slammed really hard into second. If i left it I'm sure the box would be toast by now.

moneypit

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs calais
Thanks for the hint eyy. Sounds like we had the same symptoms for sure. Never considered that one. I don't know the history of the car, but it has green plastic body injectors on it, so anything is possible.
I have a spare ecu here, I will have a look at that on the weekend and see how we go.

moneypit

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs calais
EYY mate I can't thank you enuf, you have saved me many $ I recon, would have been the last place I would have looked.

Yes folks the car had a powerchip in it. Some poor bastard got ripped big time with this one for sure.

Fitted a spare ecu I had here and it runs great and the trans changes all good now, another job ticked off the list, the joy of buying a car without history!

Cheers

moneypit

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs calais
If I had to try real hard to pick it, it maybe lost slightly in the bottom end but gained slightly in the top, revs a little cleaner with the standard computer back in. Trans is nice and smooth now. Yep the chip was junk.
The idle is not quite as smooth as it was, but it does have vt injectors in it, and we haven't had the plugs out yet.
It also has twin cats into a 2.5 redback system, but the cats are slightly different size/brand stockies, all pretty dodgy, so I will have to replace the front section of the exhaust first, then if need be will have to find someone who has a decent memcal tune for the vt injectors, or go back to stock.