Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT 304 heat??

nes138

Reaction score
Members Ride
FC HOLDEN with 5LT V8 (VT)
All great info, cheers. When I see it get to about 113deg I get nervous and stop the engine.

I went Davies Craig because they are so dam flat. There is absolutely NO WAY original fans or even a V6 fan will fit. The water pump bolts are actually so close it's between them.

Do fans work better at pushing or pulling?

Yes bypass is fitted. I even ran the heater in the car for flow. Pipes are hot so I know its moving around. Fresh clean coolant too.

With the comments about airflow and space - the bonnet has been removed so all heat can rise up and out, yep the engine was shoe horned in so there is zero room. Even though the pipes are JetHot coated it still blistered the paint.

I whacked the timing gun on it so I know its been checked.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Fit the radiator between the support panel and the grill.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Fans work best in the pull through configuration as you have it.

Is it a stock engine on a stock tune?

Have you checked the oil temps? An oil cooler may help here.

What size radiator and is it copper or alloy?

Can you post a pic of the setup? maybe someone might have some ideas on how to improve it.

SPAL fans are fairly narrow and move a **** load of air but with the radiator been that close to the engine airflow is going to be a problem regardless I think.

nes138

Reaction score
Members Ride
58d13ac4383115ee07c7ea0bf7b07a3f.jpg

Bog stock Standard engine with standard V8 radiator. Haven't checked to oil temps.

a6e8f958e334699531ed392cf64ef37e.jpg

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I don't think those 2 fans are going to cut the mustard unfortunately. Another issue I see is that the fans are only cooling the top 2/3rds of the radiator, all the coolant passing through the radiator below those fans isn't getting any cooling. That "shroud" is also no good as it directly covers the radiator core except for where the fans are located preventing any flow through those covered areas.

My thoughts are to remove the shroud and mount the fans directly to the radiator. Mount on high and the other one lower so that all the surface area from left to right gets some sort of airflow over it. Is it possible to try running the engine without the condenser in front of it as that may be reducing airflow to much.

One the plus side that looks like one tidy ride. Will be awesome once you get these little issues sorted :)

nes138

Reaction score
Members Ride
I'll do a run with no shroud and see how it goes then. I can't get a bigger fan though unless I mount a third one on the front.

Let you know how it goes.

I can't wait to drive it. Cruise, A/C, central lock, bench seat six seater....

07022012526.jpg

etanedeb.jpg

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
A big fan on the front may be the better option, not as efficient as it been behind the radiator but will be better than those 2 baby fans on there now.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
They seem quite small for what you're asking them to do. Are you sure you have them wired correctly polarity wise? I've heard of instances where they've been wired to push air towards the front of the car rather than pull, which was the cause of overheating.

What water pump are you running and are you running power steering? You could try changing to an early 253/308 water pump with the shorter snout to give you some more clearance to run twin thermos from a mondeo/falcon, or maybe even the stock vt fans. That's if you're not running p/s. As you already know, you'll really struggle with a single fan as the fan motor will interfere with your water pump. The AU fans fit the wider VT radiator quite well I believe if you go down that path.

From memory the shorter pump is shorter by 10-15mm. Not much, but maybe just enough? The later models had the longer snout to deal with the weight of the clutch fan.

I have a stock 195i VS tune in my car and the thermos come on at ~95 and are off at ~90 (checked with tuner pro and my aldl cable). I believe the bcm controls the fans on the later models though (the vs s3 and vt ecu's are only capable of triggering at one temperature - the bcm controls the other speed). I'd be concerned if it's running at over 107-108c. While it'll handle higher temps, it still shouldn't get that hot.

Another thing - how we'll have you sealed that shroud? It's extremely important that you make sure that the only place the fans can draw air, is through the radiator itself. I've used some self adhesive foam from Bunnings on mine which cost $14 and seems to do the job.

Last edited:

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
What water pump are you running and are you running power steering? You could try changing to an early 253/308 water pump with the shorter snout to give you some more clearance to run twin thermos from a mondeo/falcon, or maybe even the stock vt fans. That's if you're not running p/s. As you already know, you'll really struggle with a single fan as the fan motor will interfere with your water pump. The AU fans fit the wider VT radiator quite well I believe if you go down that path.

From memory the shorter pump is shorter by 10-15mm. Not much, but maybe just enough? The later models had the longer snout to deal with the weight of the clutch fan.

Would an electric water pump make any difference.