Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vt 98 commodore wagon

pamperedpets

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 vt commodore
Whats the difference between a vt s2 and a vx s2 engine as im wanting to put it in my cat and swap the plugs and that with my vt bits so it fits will it work? Anyone have photos and ones labeled to help me please even a diagram please

DarrenF

I'm an illiterate idiot.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive
You won't have any issues mate. Holden diddled the L36 in the VX onwards so you'll gain 5kw too. Just make it happen :)

pamperedpets

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 vt commodore
Thank you im a girl 21 so judt hopping ive got it right lol thank you so i just have to change over a few things or none?

DarrenF

I'm an illiterate idiot.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive
My mistake. Wiring harness and bcm may need to be swapped. I'm not sure with the security on those later motors. Might need the head unit too. I'm sure someone else will chime in and confirm.

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
If they are both the same v6 motor, then you should be able to swap it straight over, use your original BCM and Harness.
Worst case scenario is you might have to change a few plugs and bits over if they changed them in the VX series.

Only potential issue is wiring plugs and other bits, but just pull your motor out, put it next to the new one and swap any plugs over from your old motor to the new one that are different. Also if that is the case you will need to swap your engine harness off the old motor to the new one.

Get hold of a Holden Commodore repair manual, all wiring diagrams and info is in there. Also tell you how to replace an engine so pretty helpful. I have a Haynes one, pretty decent.

DarrenF

I'm an illiterate idiot.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive
It shouldn't be too difficult if you've got the donor vehicle available when you're doing the swap. This is handy just in case you need any other bits or pieces.