Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vt clubsport problem

tegzann

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx ss
Just wondrring if anyone could help I just brought a 1998 vt clubsport from the auctions it has water damage and it didnt come with a key so I had a key cut and was told to leave the key in the ignition in the on position for 45mins to override the computer and it will start I tried this and it doesnt work does anyone now how I could override the computer to get the motor started or to even see if it will start. I have been told that it is the factory immobilser that I need to override. Any help would be great

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
How far up was it flooded?

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
may need a new BCM. if it go flooded inside?

BOOSTER

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX ACCLAIM S2 WAGON
i would take the key back and tell him it doesn't work!!!!!! get a locksmith to cut you one he should test it before he asks any money off you

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
.....so I had a key cut and was told to leave the key in the ignition in the on position for 45mins to override the computer and it will start I tried this and it doesn't work does......
Yeah right.....I was told that too, by a locksmith and it didn't work.
Jump on eBay, get a BCM and matching key/s
(The BCM has to be the same as the one in the car. Just look at the part number on it).
Find someone with a Tech 2 scan tool and have them link it to the PCM.
Saves a lot of screwing around with locksmiths.

BOOSTER

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX ACCLAIM S2 WAGON
I don't know nor have heard of any part that requires you to sit and wait for 45 minutes on any car for it to just work, sounds more like he needed 45 minutes to disappear

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
I don't know nor have heard of any part that requires you to sit and wait for 45 minutes on any car for it to just work, sounds more like he needed 45 minutes to disappear

Quite correct --- You don't know, so why post?

To the OP, you need to be aware that a VT Clubsport has two separate theft deterrent mechanisms. First there is the standard VT theft deterrent provided by the BCM. Second, there is an additional theft deterrent mechanism provided by HSV and known as ISS (Integrated Security System).

I assume, since you haven't provided any information to the contrary, that your Clubsport is a VT1 model with the Holden V8 engine. If it's a VT2 with the LS1 5.7l V8 then the theft deterrent details will be slightly different and in that case I can provide you with an updated description. You also need to be aware, when reading through the description that to improve vehicle security, the theft deterrent two hour override function (that BOOSTER doesn't know and hasn't heard of) was deleted as a running change to all VT Series Models in approximately July 1998.

Bottom line is that you need to have both theft deterrent systems functional in order to start your Clubsport. The override might work if your car was made before July 1998, or you can replace the BCM, keys and a paired PCM. However, you also need to be able to disable the ISS before your Clubsport will start. Were you provided with any of the ISS overide tags?

------------------------------------------
Theft deterrent systems, controlled by the Body Control Module (BCM) are standard fitment to all VT Series and VT Series II Models.

THEFT DETERRENT SYSTEM - GENERAL INFORMATION
The theft deterrent system on VT Series Models uses a remote coded key to arm and disarm the system, as well as electrically lock or unlock all doors and tailgate (station wagon), or operate the boot unlock mechanism (sedan).

SYSTEM OPERATION
There are two modes of theft deterrent operation, armed and disarmed.
ARMED
The theft deterrent system can be manually armed in one of two ways:
. Actively, by pressing the lock button on the remote coded key or,
. Passively, as the BCM will automatically arm 30 seconds after the ignition is turned off.
When the system is armed, the start relay (located in the engine compartment relay housing) and the engine management system control module (PCM) are disabled, preventing the engine from being started.
DISARMED
With the system disarmed and the PCM enabled, the engine will be allowed to be started when the ignition switch is turned to the run position. The theft deterrent system can be disarmed in three ways:
1. Pressing the unlock button on the remote coded key. This unlocks the doors, turns the interior dome lamp on and disarms the system for 30 seconds.
2. By inserting the remote coded key into the ignition switch cylinder and turning the ignition to the ON or run position. This causes the BCM to read a security code serial data output from the remote coded key contact pin via the remote coded key reader assembly.
3. The system can also be disarmed by turning the ignition switch to the ON position for aproximately two hours (timed override function).
NOTE:
Should the engine crank briefly when the ignition switch is turned to the START position (ie. due to mis-aligned or a faulty remote coded key reader) then pressing the unlock button on the remote coded key will also disarm the theft deterrent system.

The theft deterrent system has a timed override function. The theft deterrent system can be overridden (disabled), as for example in the event of a remote coded key failure, by turning the ignition switch to the ON position for two hours. The theft deterrent alert indicator LED will go out once the system has been disabled and normal starting of the vehicle can take place.

REMOTE CODED KEY
The theft deterrent system uses a remote coded key to arm and disarm the system, and electrically lock or unlock all doors and tailgate (station wagon), or operate the boot unlock mechanism (sedan models).
The remote coded key is powered by its own internal battery. If its internal battery fails, the remote coded key can be powered by the remote coded key reader once the key is inserted into the ignition switch cylinder and turned to the IGN or START position.
When the theft deterrent system is armed by pressing the remote coded key lock button, the indicators will flash once and the theft deterrent alert indicator LED will begin to flash. Disarming the system by pressing the unlock button will cause the indicators to flash twice and the theft deterrent alert indicator LED will stop flashing.
The Radio Frequency (RF) transmitted by the remote coded key is received by the BCM’s remote receiver located in the dash panel.
NOTE:
Passive arming of the system does not automatically operate the door locks or flash the indicators.

HSV ISS (Integrated Security System)
The HSV Integrated Security System (ISS) is a microprocessor-controlled immobiliser, which automatically provides isolation of three of the vehicles essential circuits every time the ignition is switched off. The immobiliser is disarmed using a unique coded tag, which contains a small chip with a specific code to provide maximum security.

Operation of the ISS is simple. The module arms automatically after the ignition is switched off. Disarming the system is achieved by inserting the coded tag into the socket in the status monitor. Which on a VN through to VS is located on the underside of the centre console lid. Confirmation of the disarm is provided by the LED changing from flashing to constantly on. The VS Series III (Ute or Statesman) and the VT Series 1 utilise the key reader through the ignition barrel to disarm the system. The status monitor on these vehicles is located in the glove box.

The system is supplied with two unique black user "TAGS" and one unique red "MASTER TAG", the red master tag is used only to delete stored codes for lost tags or to introduce new user tags to the system, or to 'learn' a new ignition key on VS III or VT. This is the only way for new tags to be introduced and if the red tag is lost the system has to be replaced. The system will recognise up to five black tags at any one time allowing for multiple users of the vehicle. The custom moulded housing for the tags is fully waterproof.

The electronic module has been designed so that in the event of power loss (flat battery or theft attempt) the system will return to the same operating state when power is restored, e.g. if system is armed when power is disconnected, it will return to the armed condition when power is restored.

To further enhance system security there is no connector on any of the wiring at the module. All wires entering the module are black and of the same wire gauge (except tor the status monitor wiring) making it impossible to disconnect the module and plug in any form of override.

s_ikari2015

Fun IS easier with an 8
Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 Monaro V2 CV8, '90 Toyota Sera
Isn't there a forum rule against posting the procedures to override the anti-theft, even if it takes 2+ hours to do so?