Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Commodore wont start. Starter motor, security or key?

VTCommoDude

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT COMMODORE
Trying to start my bros VT commodore.
The battery is charged. I turn the key, nothing but ticking, so im leaning toward the starter motor. We tried talping it, but it didnt work, which says maybe its not.
When I first turn the key, three loud beeps sounded. When i pull the key out, the security light doesnt flash. So maybe the engine security management?
When I turn the key, the dash lights come on and the radio works.
Now, the key wont open the door remotely either. I put a new battery in the head, but it still wont unlock, so I am thinking this is all because the key has lost its programing. Maybe when the battery went flat?

Any ideas? We are trying to sell this thing.

elmaso

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS berlina
make sure the terminal are making full contact and theres no corrosive **** around them.

thats just 1 suggestion though..

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Try leaving the ignition switch in the ON position for 120 minutes, and then try starting the car. Waiting for the 120 minutes will bypass the immobiliser and if then car now starts, theres either a problem with the key, key reader or BCM.

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
"when it doubt bridge it out"
thats what us dodgy auto sparkies say, get a piece of wire, find the start relay in the fuse box in the engine bay, bridge out pins 87 and 30(it will say in the relay) the motor should turn over, alternatively you can bridge the larger main battery cable to the smaller signal wire dircetly on the starter motor to remove all doubt, that will tell you if the starter motor is ok
if it does turn over, you need to start working your back, is the signal getting to the start relay?? is the start relay working?? etc etc

start with the basics

VTCommoDude

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT COMMODORE
Thanks. Ill try the bridging thing. Is that the fuse box under the steering wheel?
The 120mins thing might be worth a try too.

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
nah engine bay, drivers side, between the battery and suspension tower, long black thing

VTCommoDude

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT COMMODORE
Thanks everyone. Turns out the key head had lost its programming. Key on eBay $35, programming $22. Had to put inba starter motor also. $170.

Jinxer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP SS
is there a way to bypass the security key lock ****? sick of sitting in my missus hot car trying to get it going. i dont want to do the 120 min stuff, just want to perm. turn off security

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
is there a way to bypass the security key lock ****? sick of sitting in my missus hot car trying to get it going. i dont want to do the 120 min stuff, just want to perm. turn off security

just fix the security.

VTSSLS1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS LS1 A4 227rwkw
They are immobilised for a reason, if it's broken, fix it.