Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT error code scanner

Niper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 5.7 A4
Hello I have a 2001 GEN III automatic 4 speed

and the engine light come on a week ago and i want to scan for the error code
but i do not have a scanner

can some one tell me which scanner would work on my car and i dont want an expensive one if someone already has one that works can he please give me its name so i can be sure it works before i buy it.

Thanks alot

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
short terminals 5 & 6 ( the 2 on the top right of conector), turn ignition on and count flashes.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
short terminals 5 & 6 ( the 2 on the top right of conector), turn ignition on and count flashes.
That won't work on an LS1, you need a Tech 2 or compatible scan tool.

VTLS1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 LS1 -VX S2 SS LS1
That won't work on an LS1, you need a Tech 2 or compatible scan tool.

Just had a look at a workshop manual & in there it tells you to connect 5/6 terminal together,even for the LS1 version but,they arent always right. Also had a look through Holden techlines updates/service & faults just in case but that wasnt helpfull as thats based mainly on using a Tech2. A simple tech2 check like this should only be $20 at the most,after all its only a 5 minute job. Unfortunately to buy a tech2 is out of reach for the average joe. Last price i got was $2000 for one. Most,if not all other scanners on the market wont correctly read or are able to reset VT's only VX onward. A mate bought one,was assured by reputable tool supplier that it would work....it didnt. There are some scanners that will work on VT's but they wont do everything they are capable of doing.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Bridging pins 5&6 won't work.
It's hard to know if that scanner will work or not, I bought a similar one that works for some live data but will not read fault codes. Here is one like I bought:U585 VAG & CAN OBDII CODE SCANNER READER MEMO SCAN OBD2 - eBay Other, Tools, Car Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 31-Mar-10 23:11:51 AEDST)
The only thing that will work that I know of is EFI Live but it is a little more expensive than these scanners. There is an EFI Live forum that will give you information.http://forum.efilive.com/
The oil pressure sender is a common problem on the LS1 and also the PCV hoses, the rubber parts perish.

Last edited: