Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT to VY Dash (Not another one!).. Wiring.

ohwow

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore & RX8
No, this is not another speculation as to whether a VY dash will fit into a VT.

I have already completed the majority of the work, however I have not quite finished.

Here are some images of my progress so far:

A7Np4Oy.jpg

*Note all the food required to complete this job (Beers not pictured)
agdptC0.jpg

N1GrNeh.jpg

0BhoHGj.jpg

So anyway, the dash is in, sits nice, looks nice, and no creaks etc. I am still missing a few parts such as the radio etc and a few trim panels are missing or damaged (along with the glovebox), but the majority is there.

Here are my issues:
  • Cluster - I am yet to purchase one, and from what I have read, they WILL work with a VT with simple rewiring. However, I do not have the loom to wire to, nor do I have any idea where I would get a cut up loom without buying the entire harness (which I would rather not do).
  • Hazard Switch - Exactly the same problem here. Will wire up fine, just don't have the loom.
  • Headlight Switch - For this one, I had the cut loom from the VY. I've wired it up all fine, with the exception of the Auto function (which I don't care about). My problem with this one, is the brightness switch does not function. All it seems to do is when the vehicle is off and keys are out is turn the headlights on when moved to the brightest position (I assume I've wired it incorrectly, however I do not know which wire is the culprit)

Headlight switch I can trial and error and figure out myself, but the other two I'm a bit confused. So does anyone have any insight as to how I do this?

I got this far however, so I'm sure I can finish the job.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
I know of 1 person attempting this in Adelaide, he gave up and handed over to mechanical place. The issues are far and wide.

Getting the gauges to work in the cluster will require a degree in auto sparky know how. Not a 5 min job or for the faint hearted

Good luck :) Your almost there. I bet heaps of people will do the change once sus'd out.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
To make that cluster work, you are going to need to swap computers and feed all the current vehicle inputs into it so it can output it into a language the dash understands. It's not a simple rewire job. nowhere near.

ohwow

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore & RX8
To make that cluster work, you are going to need to swap computers and feed all the current vehicle inputs into it so it can output it into a language the dash understands. It's not a simple rewire job. nowhere near.

So basically replace the ECU with a VY one and then rewire? What about the BCM?

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
All good on that front. Should be ok.

Zlimes

My Vt accliam lovely leds
Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden vy commodore
Hey I have 100% completed my vy dash into vt.
Cause the vy cluster is a mission to get working and so on.
I am going to be buying a
Vt/vx Calais cluster or a statesman cluster.
I have gotten my vy switches modded to blue color from a person from Newcastle
Charges 200$ for all switches and a extra for the vt cluster
If u want ur switches down
Inbox newcastle carsales on Facebook

Blu383

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 Vt supercharged 383 stroker
Hey mate, been thinking about doing this with my vt as well, just wondering how everything went as as far as fitting and lining up? Also did you have any dramas swapping to the new gear shifter and does the vt cluster fit in the vy/vz hole nice or is there gaps?
Any advise would be awesome mate cheers! Keep up the good work!