Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Twin Piston Brake Upgrade

MY_84_VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Berlina/VX S Pac
Hi all,
Thinking of upgrading the front brakes on my VK to VT twin piston calipers and rotors as I have heard they have the best stopping power.
What I'm wondering is will the calipers bolt straight on to where my existing ones do, or do they need modifying?
I'm aware that i need to get hub adapters to fit the disc rotor, but I'm just unsure about the calipers and brakes lines.
Can anyone shed any light on the topic?
Cheers

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I believe they need a special bracket in order to make the caliper sit in the right space.

nemesis_adrasteia

better to reign in hell
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore HSV(without all the gay ****)
possibly have a chat to "not_an_abba_fan"

a mate bought some of his gear and works really well was for a VS though

Dirbatua

AWOL!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Series 2
You need the Adapter Hubs, VT Calipers, Rotors And Brake Pads and brake lines from the calipers to the joiners in the wheel arches since the originals are too short usually and you want to change em anyway since there will be a possible increase of pressure on them, you might have to modify the stone-guard sheet behind the rotor if it has one (most didn't) and the little bit of modification on VKBerlinas site depending on if you get 2nd hand VT Calipers or if you get the conversion kit made for the VB-VK since most of those are tweaked from memory.

If your changing to VT Brakes you should change the Master Cyl and Booster to a VS V6 Booster with a VT Master Cyl with the quick fill otherwise the brake pedal will get really soft and won't grab till at approx half way down, will still brake better then the standards though, can PM you the instructions from another forum if it isn't on here and its a simple job since you will be bleeding your brake lines either way.

If you get a VT master you need to get the little adapter flanges to use the VK standard brake lines so you don't have to run new metal ones but they are only like $15 for the 3 required.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Or you could just buy the VE brake upgrade kit, comes with rotors, adaptor hubs, calipers, pads, brake fluid, brake lines and mounting hardware. No need to change master cylinder or booster.

$795 will get you everything you need. Press Releases scroll down to the kit.

Dirbatua

AWOL!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Series 2
Or you could just buy the VE brake upgrade kit, comes with rotors, adaptor hubs, calipers, pads, brake fluid, brake lines and mounting hardware. No need to change master cylinder or booster.

$795 will get you everything you need. Press Releases scroll down to the kit.

How do they get away with not changing the master or booster with those?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
The pistons in the calipers are a smaller diameter so they displace less fluid. Twin piston still so you get better pad pressure to the rotor, but less fluid volume required, and so the standard master and booster will work with no problems at all.

MY_84_VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Berlina/VX S Pac
I see, doesn't sound like too big a job to conquer. Talking of the kit you mentioned for the VE Commodore conversion, I've seen on ebay the conversion kits for the VT to fit my VK, would I still have to change the master cylinder with one of those?
COMMODORE BIG BRAKE UPGRADE VB VC VH VK VL VN VP - eBay, Other, Car Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 25-May-10 08:23:37 AEST)

Also wondering how would the VT brake upgrade compare to say VL Turbo calipers and slotted/cross drilled rotors?

Dirbatua

AWOL!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Series 2
VT brakes will **** all over VL Turbo Calipers due to the size difference and that VL calipers only have 1 piston that presses the pads into the rotor but the VT onwards have 2 pistons.

You don't need to change the Master and booster for any of the changes but just be aware that if you don't the brake pedal will be squishy, will still stop better then the standard brakes but you will have to find the pressure points where if you change the booster and master then the brake pedal feels normal.

Changing the booster and master is a peice of piss anyway and can be done in a few hours or less depending how handy you are.

I brought my last lot off these guys for my VR and i will be buying the ones for my VK through them in a few months.

VT COMMODORE BIG BRAKE CONVERSION VB VC VH VK VL VN VP - eBay, Other, Car Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 25-May-10 11:24:15 AEST)