Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT - VZ Steering Wheel Stereo Controls

Discussion in 'Car Audio' started by alien, Jan 1, 2009.

1. alien

alien New Member

Members Ride:
    03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
    Well, i got another bread board cleared now so was thinking about wiring up a simple CAT for the VT - VZ's so the steering wheel controls can be used with new head units without having to pay $150-200.

I've got the circuit designed in my head atm, however i need to know what voltages or even better if you know the restiances that are outputted from the Steering Wheel controls.

I have this data from Holden for the VT - VX's:

Resitance for functions:
    Volume Down - 0 Ohms (Or negligable)
    Volume Up - 1k5 Ohms
    Mute - 3k7 Ohms
    Preset Next Down - 5k Ohms
    Preset Next Up - 9k7 Ohms
    Mode - 19k7 Ohms

Could someone with a VY or VZ check to see that that's what they return for our switches too? I dont have time to check at the moment.

Voltages probably make my life easier actually, or if you can tell me how much current goes through the controls to the head unit.

Once finished they shouldn't be more than $50 including postage, and will be all programmed for each head unit brand. Re-programming will be available for cost of postage too. :yeah:

2. Siliconslick

Siliconslick New Member

Members Ride:
    2000 VX Berlina
    I... I think I love you

3. alien

alien New Member

Members Ride:
    03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
    Well, i'm not gay, so yea.

Anyways, that doesn't really help me with Voltages, but i've thought about it and scrapped that one design (circuit design). I've now got a new one i thought about a week ago, and a new one popped into my head today. Grabbed a couple more parts, and i now have another bread board, so i'll develop the two together but will probably end up using the one i designed today.

However, with these designs the resistors need to be pretty spot on for this design to work properly. If they dont work though i'll redo the circuit for anyone who purchases them at no cost.

Would still be good to find out what current flows through the cables though. Anyone know or can find out for me?

Rough estimate on price, around $40-45 including 1 year free re-programming (for different units at buyers postage cost). After the first year probably about $2 plus postage charge. And these units will be fair light, but wont have a case, will be protected in electrical tape probably [cheap but reduces price of the units].

Anyone wanna give feedback? Whether they like everything that's been planned so far? Want to give constructive critism or complain? Anyone interested in them atm?

4. danja

danja Swerves for gay koalas

Members Ride:
    CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
    I'll check mine for you when I'm back home next week.

Where are you measuring the voltages across?

5. alien

alien New Member

Members Ride:
    03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
    If it's possible i need the voltage across the resistors in the actual steering wheel controls, might be easy to get the voltage at the Clock Spring Connector (YB149 if you have a Holden Manual).

I'm thinking it may not be all that easy. So i guess trial and error will be ok, ive got the 5 resistors that Holden use in their steering column, so i can run a bit of a test circuit so it shuldn't be too difficult if it's not right because it'll be fair close. I just have to find time to then develop the circuit and test it in a live environment! Then it should be ready for purchase by anyone! :)

6. Siliconslick

Siliconslick New Member

Members Ride:
    2000 VX Berlina
    do you have a timeframe as to when the adapter thing will be complete?
    could you post some rough plans so i can go through them with my dad (he's an architect with an electrical engineering degree)? three heads are better than one when it comes to error spotting!

7. alien

alien New Member

Members Ride:
    03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
    I'm guessing the timeframe for it to be completed will be about 2 weeks (the cricuit complete). So long as i keep getting no other work to do. However, lets put that at 3 weeks. Depending on demand i probably wont put them on a PCB, so they'll just be on small breadboards all packaged up. Will mean they're fair small too, as i dont have to go finding a box to put the circuit in. Also depends if the small breadboards are big enough to host everything, they might not be, in which case i'm screwed and will have to go the PCB! :p

Well, the circuit is in my head, i've never been the type of person that is good at writing things down (to me is a waste of time). However if i run into any errors or problems i'll let you know! :)

8. Gaming Warrior

Gaming Warrior New Member

Members Ride:
    Series II VE SV6
    Let me know when you are taking orders(via PM would be best)
    If this will be able to work with a Alpine CDE-9882Ri and you can do it for ~$50 I will get one.

9. alien

alien New Member

Members Ride:
    03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
    Gaming Warrior, i just went onto Alpines website and it's horrible! Couldn't find a manual for it. This will work IF Pioneer have allowed for a "Remote control in" (like in the Sony units which is designed for their "rotary commander"). This will not be an IR product that imitates a remote [well, i didn't plan for it to be anyways this soon], this overrides the steering controls and allows you to use them in place of a rotary commander or the like. Just check your manual to see if it allows a remote control in, or some sort of lead on the back to support controlling the unit.

Also, another update for everyone, i've ditched the second design i was going for, started to get a bit complex for what i wanted, so i've gone back for the first design, which has less components, but they are a bit more expensive (so cost should still be same as they balance out). So the original circuit is destroyed and i'm now working on a new circuit design.

BTW, if the company that you have (or want) doesn't have remote control via wire then just send them an email saying you think it would be a good feature, it's not that hard for them to encorporate in their system and if enough people start doing it then they'll actually start!

10. ORIXVywags

ORIXVywags Max stunners on the train

Members Ride:
    VYII Acclaim,VR Acclaim,VS Ute,VS Berlina Wagon
    If someone can put together a nice little kit for a SONY CDX-GT55IP to fit in my VY Acclaim Wagon, you name your price

I will go mental if I have to keep using my FM Ipod tuner

GRRRR

11. Luke0011

Luke0011 Car Audio Installer

Members Ride:
    VZ Berlina 2005
    i thought you said you could make them aliaen, and now your asking if wqe can check current???? Lol
    Just pay the 150

12. one_and_only2004

one_and_only2004 Turbo L98 FTW

Members Ride:
    Z Series Thunder Utility - Turbo
    At least he's having a go - how do you think these CAT devices came into the world? I'd be happy to pay for one if you could get it to work with a Pioneer DEH-P4050UB

13. SAV_117

SAV_117 Donating Member

Members Ride:
    VY Lumina
    hey alien just wondering if u know what head units u can do this for

14. commsirac

commsirac Banned

Members Ride:
    vx
    Many of the units are now OEM compatible, meaning they work of the system mainly used in Europe. If a module that interfaces with the comm steering wheel controls is put together for OEM, that will cover a lot of head units....especially the Clarion one in my car!

Good luck with it Alien

15. one_and_only2004

one_and_only2004 Turbo L98 FTW

Members Ride:
    Z Series Thunder Utility - Turbo
    I just had the worlds most awesome idea - what if we could use the remotes that come with the units?

EDIT Just took mine apart and had a look at it - you could solder a wire onto each contact point of the remote, mount the LED on one of the blank buttons (where the traction control button goes) and have yourself a pretty classy set of steering controls.
    I'll have to see if i can open up the steering controls and solder my own wires onto them.

16. danja

danja Swerves for gay koalas

Members Ride:
    CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
    Hey alien, do you still need those measurements? I'm back in the country and got my car back from a retarded workshop (finally!), and I'll be stripping bits of it this weekend, so I can check out the steering controls hopefully while I'm at it.

17. mastadd

mastadd New Member

Members Ride:
    Vu Spac Ute
    hey mate, im super keen for one of these if you did end up getting them to work out! cash ready and waiting if so!

18. jdls1

jdls1 New Member

Members Ride:
    vu ss 5.7L
    any one know how to hook the cat thing up to the wires for the steering wheel, what colors go where, i wana do it myself but cant work it out :(

19. alien

alien New Member

Members Ride:
    03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
    Sorry for not replying sooner guys, i've been really busy. Most of the circuit is still sitting on my desk right in front of my monitor! I havn't forgotten about it! Just been busy dealing with a lot of crap lately. But that's life i guess.

I did look into what units it will support with wires. Now, not every head unit in these brands support them, but i'm fairly sure most do support the hard wire control.

Brands include:
    Alpine
    Clarion
    Eclipse
    and Sony

I'm not aware of any others yet, but they may do.

20. dunzsv6

dunzsv6 New Member

Members Ride:
    VZ SV6
    Hey mate, just wondering how your coming along with the hard wired steering wheel controls, any luck yet?