Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT - Wiring a 3.5mm Audio jack to handsfree kit?

XtraSimplicity

Reaction score
Website
www.xtrasimplicity.com
Members Ride
98 VT Commodore Calais
Hi all,
I've been reading here over the past few weeks, but, until now, have not yet posted..

Anyway, I've a 98' VT commodore, which I've recently hard-wired a 150W inverter to (to charge my iPhone) -- but I've since decided that I would also like to connect my iPhones 3.5mm audio-out port to the existing 4-pin hands free kit, so that I can listen to the radio, and have the radio muted whenever my Phone's GPS speaks, or someone calls.

I've been reading up on the net and in here, but can't seem to find anything specifically relevant to the VT. I was looking at a pin-out/wiring diagram on another thread, which is for the VY/VZ, however the VT connector seems to be missing a few pins (the VY/VZ has a 6-pin connector, whereas the VT has a 4-pin connector).

I've been following the Eurovox Wiring diagram, to get an idea as to what to connect the wires to, but I haven't had much luck.
The diagram I've been following can be found here: http://www.eurovox.com.au/downloads/Wiring Diagram Update.pdf

My theory was that, if I were to cut a 3.5mm to 3.5mm wire in half, and connect it to 2x 14AWG wires - one wired directly to pin 2 (GND) and the other to pin 4 (which I'm assuming is Audio -, considering I was receiving a negative voltage on my multimeter) - it would mute the radio whenever my phone plays music/sound effects. But all this seems to have done is muted the radio, independent as to whether my phone was even plugged in. Removing the wires has since unmuted the radio.

Any ideas as to what I should do, or what I'm doing wrong?
Regards,
XS

teno45

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Berlina
I dont know the exact system your dealing with, so anything from here on is just guesses or ideas...

The way i understand the phone/audio mute function works is by grounding the appropriate pin. as per the wiring diagram you posted, the yellow/black wire for vehicle wiring or purple for the radio standard wiring.

This four pin connector might be: audio +, audio -, gnd, and phone mute. in any order... might have a look into after work as this is similar to something ill be looking into in the next week or two.

XtraSimplicity

Reaction score
Website
www.xtrasimplicity.com
Members Ride
98 VT Commodore Calais
I dont know the exact system your dealing with, so anything from here on is just guesses or ideas...

The way i understand the phone/audio mute function works is by grounding the appropriate pin. as per the wiring diagram you posted, the yellow/black wire for vehicle wiring or purple for the radio standard wiring.

This four pin connector might be: audio +, audio -, gnd, and phone mute. in any order... might have a look into after work as this is similar to something ill be looking into in the next week or two.
Thanks for your quick response -- sorry that it took me so long to respond, I got caught up in other things and forgot to check JustCommodores.

I know for sure that pin 1 is the 12V battery line (constant voltage), as I've tested it with a multimeter, even with the car switched off -- where it returned around 11.5-12V, both with the car in accessory mode, and without the key even being inserted.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Regards,
XS

XtraSimplicity

Reaction score
Website
www.xtrasimplicity.com
Members Ride
98 VT Commodore Calais
Does anyone have any ideas? I'm hoping to have this done by the end of the week, if possible.

Does anyone have a pinout diagram of the 4-pin phone connector for the VT series II?
Regards,
XS

teno45

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Berlina
I just re-read your OP, are you trying to get the audio from your phone to play through the cd player, or just mute the cd player when there is audio from the phone?

I had my workshop manual out today and noticed it apparently also covers the VT... heres a couple of pics that might help you out.

if all you want to do is mute the cd player when the phone is outputting audio, you should be able to use a vox detector to put a ground onto the Radio mute wire (yellow/black). But i think it would have to go through the dock connector, because as you would know, as soon as you plug headphone/aux cable into the 3.5mm jack, the internal iphone speaker stops.

XtraSimplicity

Reaction score
Website
www.xtrasimplicity.com
Members Ride
98 VT Commodore Calais
if all you want to do is mute the cd player when the phone is outputting audio, you should be able to use a vox detector to put a ground onto the Radio mute wire (yellow/black). But i think it would have to go through the dock connector, because as you would know, as soon as you plug headphone/aux cable into the 3.5mm jack, the internal iphone speaker stops.

Thanks for your response, I'm planning to use the 3.5mm audio jack to output audio via the speakers, and mute the radio when doing so (i.e. mute radio, play music, pause music, resume radio). The vox detector seems like a fantastic idea, and a simple-ish schematic, too.

I'll give this a shot this week,
Thanks so much,
Regards,
XS

kralleo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais Turbo

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Not quite sure what you're asking mate! What exactly are you trying to achieve?

The phone loom in a vt vx provides a constant, accessories, ground and mute wire. When the FACTORY radio recieves a negative down the mute wire it will pause the CD or tape and allow the hands free kit to ring. But it doesn't have the ability to play audio (of any form) through the factory stereo. Which processor are you attempting to use? What exactly are you trying to achieve? Bit more info would be awesome mate!

kralleo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais Turbo
what i am tring to achieve is this

Car sound System diagram.jpg

ipad doesnt allow airplay the calls. but it allows them via docks. so when there is calls i want bit ten d to mute and change source to phone.