Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VW Vs EPA drama ?

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
Here in the USA is going like wild fire. What are you guys getting down there?

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
It's getting a bit of media but nothing huge.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Naughty, naughty VW. Pretty stupid too. Did they really think that programming diesel cars to pass the EPA, then revert to normal emission settings which were much higher (and illegal) wouldn't eventually be detected? I can see legal action from both the government and mislead customers heading their way.

For a company that used to pride itself on the advanced engineering and integrity of the company, they sure have take a dive in recent years.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
Who gives a flying ####? Typical beat up by "media".

As if they don't all do it! It doesn't affect anything or anyone. Move on.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Here in the USA is going like wild fire. What are you guys getting down there?

getting huge media here, VW are in massive trouble over this.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
ATMOS

That's all i have to say...

gopher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
Who gives a flying ####? Typical beat up by "media".

As if they don't all do it! It doesn't affect anything or anyone. Move on.

Well obviously the EPA and the US government give a flying ####.
Duped customers will give a flying #### when their cars have to be reprogrammed and ultimately have less performance and poorer economy
I'm sure that VW probably give a flying #### now.
Only one who doesn't give a flying #### is you because you just don't understand

Last edited:

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
I know any of our cars in the US will fail the test under certain conditions. In my opinion, if they pass the test and get certified is fine with me. Perhaps the test is flawed and they just figured a way to pass it. So what, they just nailed the test within the EPA rules.

The EPA is pretty much a love/hate relationship. They are more known for destroying business than helping the environment. Emissions tests is more laxed on trucks than cars and even with the same engine. For example, the G8 GXP had a gas guzzler tax, but a truck with a bigger engine and worse economy does not. However not all the states have emission test and have been abandoned. Texas, Oklahoma, Minnesota just to name a few they got rid of their emission test. So that test VW failed means nothing to those states.

That is just the California State and Federal Gov hoopla; just politics.

That affects? In a big way ! They are looking at hefty fine, law suits and such. GM on another hand, they have, 120'some fatalities related to the ignition switches. According to the authorities they knew about it for years, nothing was done about it. The solution is a key and a key chain. VW killed nobody and they are talking about Billions, GM 600 Million got them off the hook.

Here is some interesting if you guys want to dig on it.

Who killed the GM EV1 Electric car and what was the faith of all of them? The same people that are pissing, moaning and groaning about VW Diesel (CARB and EPA).

Last edited:

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
The GM thing was an engineering issue a fault and the relevant authorities have handed down what they deemed appropriate and that particular case is irrelevant this story is only about VW, VW sought to and have deliberately mislead testing to get compliance on something that is non-compliant.

VW is wilfully polluting the environment. Big polluters are punished appropriately as are fraudsters.

The electric car, yeah GM killed it off because conspiracy - more like the market is barely ready for it now.... Volt's selling like hotcakes isn't it, oh wait, no it's not.....

SLE-883

Reaction score
Members Ride
1981 VH Commodore SL/E
What VW did is basically what everyone does when they get an aftermarket parts on their car. More power at the cost of better fuel consumption and less pollution, hence why you see a disclaimer on performance parts that states "for off road use only". They put the fault back on to the consumer. They can probably get around this by issuing a recall and removing the programming off the affected cars and pay a fine.

What I see being the bigger issue is that VW mislead the public and did not provide a product they advertised. (Class action???)

I have a diesel Passat Alltrack and am not really concerned about my vehicle. It goes well (125kw and 350Nm), does 700kms per tank around the city (65L) and has a big boot and cabin to accommodate the family. If a recall was in place in Australia, I'd probably get that done and then go straight to a tune shop and have an aftermarket tune installed.

On another note this might be a lost opportunity for Holden and Ford who will be closing their manufacturing factories.