Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VW Vs EPA drama ?

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Fact is, VW met the requirements of the test. It would be an interesting legal battle to watch.

I genuinely don't see it as fraud. I see it as creative engineering to gain a competitive advantage in a free market.

I sincerely doubt anyone will see is as anything but VW taking the proverbial.

If VW thought they had a leg to stand on their CEO wouldn't have bailed.

Also - VW did not meet the requirements of the test that's the problem.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I sincerely doubt anyone will see is as anything but VW taking the proverbial.

If VW thought they had a leg to stand on their CEO wouldn't have bailed.

Also - VW did not meet the requirements of the test that's the problem.

The CEO bailed because it's the noble thing to do. When a wrong is done, the person who is in charge resigns. Then pops up in another similar role later on.

INNAWE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais 5ltr
EXACTLY!

Does the car meet the requirements of the test? Yes.

Next.

Not sure if you have been reading.... BUT NO IT DOES NOT. It did but now it does not. It is pretty funny sitting here reading your posts. So your saying pollution does not effect us in any way?
Again.... you try to sound smarter than everyone on here but bring yourself undone with dumb comments like " Its not killing anyone". Pollution effects us in a massive way. In ways that you or I cannot understand.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
The CEO bailed because it's the noble thing to do. When a wrong is done, the person who is in charge resigns. Then pops up in another similar role later on.

nah, he just cbf'd dealing with it prolly - he just floating off with his golden parachute.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
How about looking at things from the buyer's perspective. Ignore for a minute that the buyer might be environmentally conscious - he/she just wants a very economical car and VW is flogging a range of cars that extol outstanding economy AND low emissions.

So the buyer purchases a new VW diesel and heads off into the sunset. Economy is great, performance is good, and gee whiz, I'm being responsible ecologically too.

Then it all comes crashing down and the car may/will need certain work carried out, and the government says it can't be driven until that work is done. Hundreds of thousands of cars are affected and VW will be pushing **** uphill to fix them all within a reasonable period. So....no car and what will the buyer get back when the car is "fixed"?

A car that isn't as economical as it was, doesn't go as well and will probably have dropped like a rock in resale value. The only consolation is that NOW, the car is emitting low levels of pollutant. Big deal.

If I was a VW diesel customer in the US right now, I reckon I'd be more than just a little pissed off.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
If I was a VW diesel customer in the US right now, I reckon I'd be more than just a little pissed off.

And you'd have every right to, a company that deceives it's customer base and the govt deserves the hate.

It's why people were so angry at Ford for exploding Pinto's and GM for dodgy ignitions and Toyota for stupid floor mats. Those incidents cost lives, and were the result of engineering mess ups - VW, it's just blatant lying and environmental vandalism.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
So the buyer purchases a new VW diesel and heads off into the sunset. Economy is great, performance is good, and gee whiz, I'm being responsible ecologically too.

Other way around actually, the software switches on during the test so that the economy is great and it has less emissions, but in the real world, it gets better performance, less economy and emits more NOx.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
I've been reminded elsewhere of this awesome Fight Club clip.

Accountants and executives made the decision to commit this fraud.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
Again.... you try to sound smarter than everyone on here but bring yourself undone with dumb comments like " Its not killing anyone". Pollution effects us in a massive way. In ways that you or I cannot understand.

LMAO!!! For the record, there's no "try" when it comes to being smarter than some people. I'm not the smartest person in the world but I know that emissions from cars has almost no impact on anything on a global scale. Again, exhibit A - this has been going on for MILLIONS of years.

volcano-2.jpg