Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VT-VX] VX Removing Auto Shifter Button

Phillbert

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 Ute, VX SS
Hi guys im changing the auto select/shift button

I have undone all the screws, popped the pin out and trying to get the button out...
Seems to come about 30mm but stuck after that. I don't want to brake it as i want to keep for spare.
Do i just keep pulling at it or have i missed something?

12.png

Phillbert

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 Ute, VX SS
Thought this might help someone down the track...

How to Remove the Auto Shifter Button on a VT VX VU

You are going to need to remove the center console to get to a pin you need to get out to change the button.

First off, you need to remove the 2 screws either side of the Cigarette light

5.png

Then you need to remove the surrounding bezel, it has 3 points it is clipped in, the back surround brakes every easy so be careful when get it off, i found a small screw driver from the side points and my fingers to carefully pry it up. Once you lift the back about 20mm you will need to get you figures in under it to pop the Window Controller out. It will have a connection you need to unclip and it will pop out. Now put the car in to 1st gear and lift the surround off and out the way.

7.png

Next you need to get the Console out, first off you will need a 10mm socket with an extention to remove the 2 nuts under the arm rest lid at bottom of console

6.png

Then in front of the shifter plate you will see 4 x screws, 2 either side

11.png

On either side of the console, down near the seat rail there is a screw that needs to come out, now pull the panel down and out a bit. You will see it is an extra flap hiding another screw

3.png

Now you should be able to lift the console out, lift from the back making sure the car is in first, a little wiggling and it should come out...

Now under the Shifter plate is a metal shaft with a pin going through it, we need to take it out. I found a 4mm pin which was perfect size to press it out. When getting the pin out you need to pres down on the Shifter button a bit to locate it properly. You will see it disconnected the Trac Control for a bit more room.

2.png

Last thing to do is take out 1 screw at the front of the shifter, so put it in fist gear and remove the screw, then put back in park.
The Whole Gear Shifter and Button will come out in 1 piece.

1.png

To put it all back to together is the same in reverse, i used a pair of pliers to get the pin back in twisting and turning a bit to get it going back in.

8.png

OzMoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V6
Thought this might help someone down the track...

How to Remove the Auto Shifter Button on a VT VX VU

You are going to need to remove the center console to get to a pin you need to get out to change the button.

First off, you need to remove the 2 screws either side of the Cigarette light

View attachment 257400

Then you need to remove the surrounding bezel, it has 3 points it is clipped in, the back surround brakes every easy so be careful when get it off, i found a small screw driver from the side points and my fingers to carefully pry it up. Once you lift the back about 20mm you will need to get you figures in under it to pop the Window Controller out. It will have a connection you need to unclip and it will pop out. Now put the car in to 1st gear and lift the surround off and out the way.

View attachment 257401

Next you need to get the Console out, first off you will need a 10mm socket with an extention to remove the 2 nuts under the arm rest lid at bottom of console

View attachment 257402

Then in front of the shifter plate you will see 4 x screws, 2 either side

View attachment 257403

On either side of the console, down near the seat rail there is a screw that needs to come out, now pull the panel down and out a bit. You will see it is an extra flap hiding another screw

View attachment 257404

Now you should be able to lift the console out, lift from the back making sure the car is in first, a little wiggling and it should come out...

Now under the Shifter plate is a metal shaft with a pin going through it, we need to take it out. I found a 4mm pin which was perfect size to press it out. When getting the pin out you need to pres down on the Shifter button a bit to locate it properly. You will see it disconnected the Trac Control for a bit more room.

View attachment 257405

Last thing to do is take out 1 screw at the front of the shifter, so put it in fist gear and remove the screw, then put back in park.
The Whole Gear Shifter and Button will come out in 1 piece.

View attachment 257406

To put it all back to together is the same in reverse, i used a pair of pliers to get the pin back in twisting and turning a bit to get it going back in.

View attachment 257407
this all just helped me big time, my shift button was broken where the pin goes through

just a couple extra points, there are 3 screws (1 hidden) on each side of the console and it's quite easy to remove the shift cover by pressing in the black tabs underneath