Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY Full Sound system advice

SUP3RST4R_DJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 MY11 Holden VE SSV Ute
thats just an idea of an amp that would work though, you should have a bit more of a look around yourself too, just gotta look for 500RMS

basically with coils there is two types: SVC(single voice coil) and DVC(dual voice coil)

A SVC sub has a set ohm, usually 4ohm, and can only be wired one way, however a DVC has two and can be wired a couple ways, such as in parallel or series to make the subs ohm either higher or lower, people generally go for lower as you can get more power to the sub, like that amp on ebay i linked runs 500rms at 4 ohm, or 1000wrms at 1 ohm

the mm1240 comes in either a SVC or DVC so you may even be able to buy a DVC, run it at 2 ohm on a amp that runs 500rms at 2ohm which could be cheaper, i think

thats my best understanding if ive made any mistakes just correct me and OP i hope you understand that, if not best bet is to research it haha

EDIT: as for 1x 12" or 2x10"

you may feel more bass with 2 10s but it wont be heaps louder, and it will probably cost more and you will need to find a spot for the amp/s, assuming both subs are to go behind each seat

Jake.7410

Reaction score
Members Ride
thats just an idea of an amp that would work though, you should have a bit more of a look around yourself too, just gotta look for 500RMS

basically with coils there is two types: SVC(single voice coil) and DVC(dual voice coil)

A SVC sub has a set ohm, usually 4ohm, and can only be wired one way, however a DVC has two and can be wired a couple ways, such as in parallel or series to make the subs ohm either higher or lower, people generally go for lower as you can get more power to the sub, like that amp on ebay i linked runs 500rms at 4 ohm, or 1000wrms at 1 ohm

the mm1240 comes in either a SVC or DVC so you may even be able to buy a DVC, run it at 2 ohm on a amp that runs 500rms at 2ohm which could be cheaper, i think

thats my best understanding if ive made any mistakes just correct me and OP i hope you understand that, if not best bet is to research it haha

so im better off getting a DVC sub? and try and get it as low ohms possible? also could you tell me if i put 2x subs in a box does the box need to be double the cu/ft? or will one box and the recommended cu/ft do?

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
How do you think your going to fit 2 x 10's if you can't fit a single 12''?

It dosen't matter what voice coil arrangement the sub is, so long as the amp suits. That being said though, as monoblock amps produce more power at lower impedance levels, a sub that can be wired to 2 ohm, is going to offer up a better selection of amps.

Yes, 2 subs in a single box needs more internal volume.

Jake.7410

Reaction score
Members Ride
How do you think your going to fit 2 x 10's if you can't fit a single 12''?

It dosen't matter what voice coil arrangement the sub is, so long as the amp suits. That being said though, as monoblock amps produce more power at lower impedance levels, a sub that can be wired to 2 ohm, is going to offer up a better selection of amps.

Yes, 2 subs in a single box needs more internal volume.

i can fit 2 10" slimlines....

so it would need double the cu/ft?

SUP3RST4R_DJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 MY11 Holden VE SSV Ute
oh i didnt realise you were planning on putting them in the same box, i figured you ment 2 in a seperate box behind each seat, i wouldnt advise on putting to 10" subs in the one box

also thanks for clearing that up HCVP, i think thats what i was trying to get to at the end, a DVC sub will offer up a better and possibly more affordable selection of amps

Jake.7410

Reaction score
Members Ride
oh i didnt realise you were planning on putting them in the same box, i figured you ment 2 in a seperate box behind each seat, i wouldnt advise on putting to 10" subs in the one box

also thanks for clearing that up HCVP, i think thats what i was trying to get to at the end, a DVC sub will offer up a better and possibly more affordable selection of amps

yeah cause if i like it i will put another one of the same box behind the drivers seat... so you rekon 2x 10's in the box that has .96cu/ft when the subs are rated minimum of 1cu/ft?

EDIT: read it wrong... so 1x12 would be good? sorry

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
You said you have the enclosure all ready, and it's for a 10'' sub, how can you fit 2 subs in that box? Or are reffering to buying another box the same, and putting it on the other side?

It doesn't have to be double you don't have to follow the manafactuer you can do whatever you want it's just advice they give you, but for the sub to perform then yes it will need more internal volume. Whether you go larger / smaller alters the tuning, response of the driver and so forth.

I think instead of starting so many threads get a car first, then go and have a listen, not trying to sound rude.

Jake.7410

Reaction score
Members Ride
You said you have the enclosure all ready, and it's for a 10'' sub, how can you fit 2 subs in that box? Or are reffering to buying another box the same, and putting it on the other side?

It doesn't have to be double you don't have to follow the manafactuer you can do whatever you want it's just advice they give you, but for the sub to perform then yes it will need more internal volume. Whether you go larger / smaller alters the tuning, response of the driver and so forth.

I think instead of starting so many threads get a car first, then go and have a listen, not trying to sound rude.

nah ive got a box that fits either 1x 12 or 2x 10 dont worry ill be getting 1x12 ill leave this for now and come back another time

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri

I wasn't correcting you or anything i was just dumbing it down a bit because he followed up with pretty much the same question :)

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
nah ive got a box that fits either 1x 12 or 2x 10 dont worry ill be getting 1x12 ill leave this for now and come back another time

Ok ok well we were all confused we thought you were going either side of the car.

Well put 2 10's in it then, run a subsonic filter so they don't bottom out, load the box with as much polyfill as you can, make sure the amp has plenty in reserve, and then give them hell, easy :smoking: