Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY steering wheel controls drop out with park lights (FIXED!)

RayNixon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute
i have an unusual problem...

i have a vy series 2 ss ute, with a new aftermarket double din stereo unit in it.

everything works fine, except the steering wheel controls drop out when the park lights are turned on. (they are fine when lights are off)

i have pulled the head unit out to have a look.

the two wires that are being used for the steering wheel buttons are Brown and Black/white. this appears to be factory as the original plug has not been touched (by the looks of it). everything is hooked up with off the shelf patch leads.

when i test the two wires with the multimeter, i get proper resistance readings from all 6 buttons, but as soon as the park lights are on, i get 12v on the two wires.

there is no steering wheel control module being used, as the head unit takes care of everything....

a few post i have read on this site all say the two wires for the steering whee controls should be brown and yellow/black.

i found a schematic for VZ steering wheel controls and also the radio, but i believe the VY might be different. can anyone show me a schematic for the vy series 2 steering wheel controls?

any thoughts/help would be appreciated. Cheers. Ray.

caaf

Reaction score
Website
www.aurfscan.com.au
Members Ride
VYII Equipe S/wagon V6
Hey had a look on one of the schematics. You should see a brown cable and Black/white strip cable (base model) which should be grounded to the body.

The Black/yellow strip cable is for the luxury models.
The Yellow/black strip is for telephone mute.
The Brown/white strip is for illumination.

Effectively the correct cables run in a loop upto the steering wheel and aren't connected to anything else besides Black/white strip to the body of the vehicle prior to the YB72 plug to the radio.

RayNixon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute
thanks so much for the reply.. ay least my wires are correct....

so there is no reason why i would be getting +12v on the brown wire with park lights on?

caaf

Reaction score
Website
www.aurfscan.com.au
Members Ride
VYII Equipe S/wagon V6
Without pulling my car apart.. The answer would be no as I thought it is a simple resistive circuit. I take it you're metering to the chassis and tested the Bk/W is also connected to the body of the vehicle. Can I ask for the brand/model of the head unit?

RayNixon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute
i have been checking between the brown and black/white wires, and also between the brown and chassis... same result

the head unit is a kenwood ddx4016bt...

like i said, it can interpret the buttons while they are outputting the correct resistance. but as soon as park lights come on, it gets 12v on the brown wire.

currently the brown wire is running to the kenwood remote input 1 wire, and the black/white wire is running to the remote input ground. and the remote input wire 2 is not hooked up.
i got the car a few weeks ago and this was how it was installed

this link is the remote wiring diagrams for the kenwood head unit
http://www.kenwood.com/au/car/visual_navigation/oem/

caaf

Reaction score
Website
www.aurfscan.com.au
Members Ride
VYII Equipe S/wagon V6
Oh ok so only 12v on the Brown cable.. Is that with or without being plugged into any aftermarket plug/patch lead? Something sounds screwy for sure. Could you dig around the steering colum, unplug and meter from there?

RayNixon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute
i check at the clock spring... everything looked ok. without the proper diagram i could not trace any further...

i almost resorted to running new wires straight from the clock spring. but i though i would wait to see if someone could show me the diagram or knew what the problem was straight up...

the car is very stock, apart from the head unit... which everything is done with off the shelf patch looms.. so i didn't think that someone had stuffed with anything... not sure whats going on.

caaf

Reaction score
Website
www.aurfscan.com.au
Members Ride
VYII Equipe S/wagon V6
I'm starting to see more and more one requires a interface to translate the resistive signal and convert to digital.

RayNixon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute
yes on older he'd units they need interfaces... but this head unit takes care of it... like i said, while there is no 12v on the brown wire, the controls work perfectly