Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY tonner 3-way Component Speaker install

Alzgts

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 6 Speed Manual one tonner
Looking at installing some new speakers in my tonner . have purchased some Kenwood speakers consisting of 2 speakers and 2 tweeters. Link to product http://www.kenwood.com/au/car/speakers/kfc-m604p/. I was wondering is it necessary to install the supplied crossover or do you just replace existing stock speakers and tweeters using existing wiring. Will not be running an amp just off a kenwood ddx4017bt head unit.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
I am no audio guru and I never got into the monstrous stereo thing, but I do appreciate good sound quality so I swapped out my factory speakers for some Fusion Encounter 6.5" 3 way items I had sitting in the cupboard about 12 months ago.
All I did was:
Trimmed up the plastic pods that the speakers attach to so that the new speakers would fit nice and neat.
Then soldered & heatshrunk the speaker connections from the replacement speakers wiring to the factory speaker wiring.

I've had no issues since fitting them this way either, and I still only have the factory stereo fitted in my Tonner at present as I don't drive it everyday, but the improvement in sound quality was quite noticeable to me, so I reckon it was definitely worth the effort of replacing the crappy factory items.
IMG_0700.JPG
IMG_0704.JPG
IMG_0710.JPG

Last edited:

Alzgts

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 6 Speed Manual one tonner
All sorted , fitted door speakers and removed original tweeters. Found original tweeters did not use any inbuilt crossover so installed units supplied with speaker kit. Very happy , sounds great