Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vz 3.6 won't start without start ya basted

max vz wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz v6 wagon lj torana
Hi al seen earlier post same problem vz v6 Commodore spray start ya basted starts runs rough warms up turn of if doesn't stall and still will only start on start ya basted warm or cold . Put new pump in tried everything possible about to start wrecking it on gumtree have seen post saying bridge stater relay not sure if helps but will try anything .im sure someone knows through having same problem seen same post about exact same thing with steven m vz Commodore please help im over vz 3.6 comodores starting to hate comodores my lj torana is simple to work on cheers fellas thanks

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Step one, look for a huge vacuum leak.
A smoke test seals the deal on that. Pump a low pressure smoke into the intake system which then fills with smoke and it will come out of ever leak point. Use a torch or laser pointer to find the very small, almost not visible leaks.

Get the car scanned and see what codes are stored. Live data can also help identify faults.

Bridging the starter won’t do anything more. The car clearly cranks or the start ya bastard wouldn’t work.

You can make your own smoke tester. There’s a few threads here on the forum and plenty of YouTube videos showing how.

I use a mattress inflator attached to an inline retic tap for air flow control. Into a container that I put incense into and an exit hose that fits the vacuum port on the throttle body.

Disconnect the intake pipe behind the MAF and block it with a nitrile glove and a tight rubber band. Any leak past the MAF is what you are looking for. Also block the little hose you pull off the throttle body. I use a bolt.

max vz wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz v6 wagon lj torana
Step one, look for a huge vacuum leak.
A smoke test seals the deal on that. Pump a low pressure smoke into the intake system which then fills with smoke and it will come out of ever leak point. Use a torch or laser pointer to find the very small, almost not visible leaks.

Get the car scanned and see what codes are stored. Live data can also help identify faults.

Bridging the starter won’t do anything more. The car clearly cranks or the start ya bastard wouldn’t work.

You can make your own smoke tester. There’s a few threads here on the forum and plenty of YouTube videos showing how.

I use a mattress inflator attached to an inline retic tap for air flow control. Into a container that I put incense into and an exit hose that fits the vacuum port on the throttle body.

Disconnect the intake pipe behind the MAF and block it with a nitrile glove and a tight rubber band. Any leak past the MAF is what you are looking for. Also block the little hose you pull off the throttle body. I use a bolt.
Thankyou fu manchu as soon as I can get to the car first thing will try mate should of thought when I sprayed brake cleaner near back of engine at top it ran smooth pick up revs found the y pipe going from each side of top manifold was cracked thought I fixed it . Makes more sense to look again will let you know what happens .I did put new engine in so will have a look thanks mate

Reactions: Lex

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
tried everything possible
If you still have problems and it only starts on Start Ya' Bastard then it's gonna be a fuel issue, might not be able to deliver enough to actually start the car, but can to keep it only just running. Obvious other first one to change is the fuel filter if you haven't done that already. After that check the fuel lines along the length of the car to see if there's a kink anywhere, start chasing back the wiring loom after that etc...

Sounds like you've made progress though.