Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ cooling system.

vinnycol

Reaction score
People.

I've got VZ 05 that ive just noticed has soft radiator hoses after driving like there is no pressure in the system.
No overheating, level in overflow tank ok. Let it idle for a while, fan comes on as necessary and turns off as req, temp gauge @ 1/4..
Had this with my VT. was a crook Radiator cap but that was losing coolant. The VZ isn't... Just had a 67500K service done a couple of weeks ago.
Air in the system possibly ?? Any ideas???

Cheers.
Vin

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
i think it occurs from the style of radiator cap and is fine, mine does it to, if you look at the cap its like a plunger as most are but pretty reactive to pressure, also the the cap being where it is, is at the highest point of the cooling system so bleeding isnt neccessary, but i think there is a screw on the top of the radiator....have to confirm that

IPCOlsenVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ Commodore Equipe
Andyman is right, the air bleed screw is on the left side (as you look at the motor) up the top of the radiator.

Heres a few good points about general cooling systems
Coolant Hose

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
Andyman is right, the air bleed screw is on the left side (as you look at the motor) up the top of the radiator.

Heres a few good points about general cooling systems
Coolant Hose

good link ipcolsen

vinnycol

Reaction score
Cheers guys...

You'd have 2 wonder why u need a 2nd bleed point if the cap is at the highest point.
I ran it again this arvo and found no air when removing the cap. Let it heat up and this time built up pressure before kick in of fan. When fan shut off pressure was again gone... Must be a very efficient cooling system on the alloytec compared to the ecotec. Shame about where they put the thermostat(rear of engine). my wife's VZ crapped one. The repairer had to remove the inlet manifold to access the housing. about 5 hrs work... lucky was under warranty.

Be honest i've not been happy with my VZ. Diff problems A/C problems fuel gauge problems, ABS light problems, ESP light problems..... List goes on. I guess you get what you pay for... Goes ok though :)

Thanx again guys
Vin

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
Be honest i've not been happy with my VZ. Diff problems A/C problems fuel gauge problems, ABS light problems, ESP light problems..... List goes on. I guess you get what you pay for... Goes ok though :)

Thanx again guys
Vin

yeah thats the problem with mass produced cars, built quick at a price to sell, im lucky enough to not have a single problem with mine,

oh and diff problems are standard from when they first introduced them in the vt's, i just used it as an excuse to upgrade to a lsd 3.46:1 ratio

police executive

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz police executive
vz cooling

my vz thermo fans rarely cut in. i have allready had the cooling system die once and the temp gage didnt budge over 1/4 but i heard it boiling. what the bloody hell is going on. the alloytec engine is ****house

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
is the cooling system bleed properly? there is a screw on the top of the radiator, if you go into the mode+set turning ignition on menu, what does the coolant temp get to? try swapping the thermo fan relays with another one in the relay box

skeme90

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz executive
thermostat

is there a thermostat in the coolant recovery?

FnomnaVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ Berlina
One of the first things I noticed when I got my VZ was the lack of pressurising of the hoses and the coolant wouldn't stay full.
Changed the rad cap with a $13 one (CPC) from supercheap and now it's fixed.
http://www.cpcauto.com.au/radiator_caps.aspx?PartNo=570-120

I think the old one was letting coolant expand out but not suck it back in.
The next day I noticed on the old cap the plunger just fell off the spring!