Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Cruise control won't turn on.

NormH

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VZ Commodore V6 Ute
I have just taken an overseas post, and therefore lost the company car. I had to push the old ute off the blocks after 6 years, and fire her up again. Had a number of dramas, old dirty fuel, proper rusted out fuel pump, rusted rear wheel bearing, low front brake pads, drop dead battery ect., ect., but got all that sorted. Everything got going fine, except for the cruise control. All the previous Commode utes I have owned, you had to be over a certain speed before they became functional. So I just put it down to that, until I got onto the highway. Reading all the threads, I found it interesting that some models are turned on differently. Mine just had to have the button depressed at the end of the stalk to turn it on, then the light on the dash would come on, and you were good to go. Now nothing. The cruise control shares the same fuse as the reserve lights which are working, that rules out the fuse. Tried it at all speeds, no go. Brake lights are all working and original, rules out LED or wrong brake bulbs, or brake pedal switch. Thought OK, it must be the switch. Pulled the stalk out and went to disassemble the switch. Well roll me in honey and throw me to the lesbians. You would need to be a midget lepricorn to disassemble the switch at the end of the stalk. I can't tell if it's a roll pin or an allen key that holds the cap on. We diesel fitters are not renowned for the delicate stuff. Anything under an inch and a half spanner, we're out. So I thought I'd replace the hole thing. Was pretty impressed with the genuine $86 stalk from Ebay. Replaced it, and still nothing. I can't get a decent schematic on the internet to start checking circuits. Or does my engine control module need re-flashing? Like I said, the old girl sat for a long time, and twice the battery went very, very flat. Does anyone out have any idea which way to go?

NormH

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VZ Commodore V6 Ute
Thanks for that Fu. Lots of models in there, but I didn't see a VZ. I think the VY will be close enough. A mate said that they don't change much between models anyway. At least now I have an idea on how it works. Tomorrow I will attack power supply to the module and the stalk switch. Could even be as simple as a bad earth for the module. I was contemplating buying a new module on Ebay, $79.00. If I have to go to the trouble of pulling out the glove box to get to the module, I may as well just replace it anyway. Hopefully the wire colors in the VZ are the same as the VY schematic. Again, thanks a lot for your help mate.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
VZ is absolutely there.
IMG_6142.jpeg

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
vz uses fly by wire throttle body
so i believe no separate cruise module

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
vz uses fly by wire throttle body
so i believe no separate cruise module
Good point, OP states 2007 VZ. Alloytec with FBW.