Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vz maloo

Harley77

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV vz maloo R8
I have a VZ HSV Maloo that has an intermittent issue with the "service vehicle soon" light coming up on the dash. It will come on briefly under heavy acceleration or when travelling up hill or on longer steeper hills. Also, traction control turns off under heavy acceleration ‍♂️ resets itself once vehicle is turned off. I have taken it to the local Holden dealer but they can't find any faults!. It's got me stumped! Any ideas, or has anyone else had the same problems?

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Might be oil surge. How is your engine oil level? You could try adding an extra 0.5l over the full mark on the dipstick to see if that makes any difference. Any performance mods?

Harley77

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV vz maloo R8
Might be oil surge. How is your engine oil level? You could try adding an extra 0.5l over the full mark on the dipstick to see if that makes any difference. Any performance mods?
Oil level is on full mark but will add a little more. no mods.thought it might be O2 sensors..?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I’d be getting a decent bi directional scan tool on that. Just because Holden couldn’t find anything doesn’t mean there wasn’t something there. Maybe they didn’t want the job?

Dropping some coin on one of those is well worth it. Will pay for itself in one job.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
so SVS isn't a normal code you can read with an OBD2 scanner.
it requires a Tech 2 (or a clone of such) to be able to read it.
It is classed as a "non emissions related fault" or something to that effect.

I'm in a similar situation (although one day will get the tech 2 bit sorted) whereby it will fleetingly come up and go away on its own for no reasons at all. Its gone on for years, but at 800km or so a year, its a bit "ill get to it" scenario. I have had a good quality scan tool on it to give live readings while driving and nothing has flagged as out of parameters while driving along (ie oil pressure matches the gauge and o2s were fine)

Common SVS solution has been the Oil Pressure Switch being faulty. might be something to consider?
This could also be something else oil related (as seems likely reading some USA stuff), and being uphill or hard accel related, it could be linked.

When they had it at Holden did they put the Tech2 on it and did they have any historical readings from such?
I Would assume that the SVS stuff should store in a form of memory, same as when you get an code fault, it goes into a Pending or stored type of menu?

HSV126

Reaction score
Members Ride
Briggs & Stratton
Very common for an oil pressure switch to cause this to keep happening, Used to sell 30 a weeks back in 2012