Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ V6 Exhaust + Extractors

Commowar

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz calais 3.6
so would leaving the exhaust stock and just putting on extractors make any difference?

H

harrop.senator

Possibly but not a huge gain for the money. Depends on what the cost is Of the headers n cats. The cat back exhaust looked quite restrictive to me to but may not be.

I'd do gears and a tune , you'll see way more then the extractors.

I paid $300 for my pacemakers and cats. Replaced my stock system as had a collapsed cat. If I were to do it again I'd have just welded some high flow cats in.

I dno if was worth the $300 and my Saturday put it that way.

Commowar

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz calais 3.6
Yeah ok thanks. I do a lot of highway driving so want to keep the gears the same for fuel ecconomy. I'm considering down the track putting in a cpr6 manifold. I'm guessing you'd definitely want extractors and exhaust done before then. Then tune it all up and should notice something surely ;-)

H

harrop.senator

Mine gets better economy now than with the original diff.

Gears ruining economy is an 80s thing. We have lock up torque converters and lean cruise.

Even without it in a manual , the fact your not accelerating and sitting on the same rpm it doesn't change it much. Fact that it struggles less and gets up to cruise faster increases economy.

I get 8-9l/100 on the highway. Average 11.5 driving to it through the CBD in bumper to bumper traffic everyday to work.

Only time it gets more then 10l/100 on the average instant fuel on a flat road is if I'm 130 or over. 110 on the instant gauge is 8.5-9.2l/100 on flat surface.

Gets 500kms from a tank every tank.

You need to get it tuned to turn off the rear 02 sensors after extractors and cats or it'll have a check power train light on constantly.

My economy is without it being tuned and it having an error that it can't find the rear 02 sensors constantly which will Richen the tune up cause it can't find them.

Commowar

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz calais 3.6
That's interesting. Not one to do it myself so what's it worth for a mechanic to change diff gears including the purchase?

H

harrop.senator

Depends if you get rebuilt. If they do anything else while they're there. 3.46 is the stock manual V8 ratio and with LSD.

They're $150-350 used. Probably 3 hours labour tops plus a fluid change. You'll probably need new tailshaft donuts by now too.

Rebuilt stock LSD is like $1600 and with an aftermarket LSD I think it's $2000.