Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Washing car after respray.

pinedeck

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore
Hi, bit of urgent help please,

My car was resprayed three days ago. It is now covered in bug splatter and I wish to wash it. Normally I use Dura Gloss 901, but this has an additive which leaves the car with a gloss look, and I know waxing etc is a no no before a certain period of time.

I have some Super Cheap Auto wash here, Ph neutral and it does not mention any additives as the Dura Gloss does.

Would I be okay to use the SCA stuff, my main worry is the bugs etching themselves into the new paint.

It was suggested a Mequiars product but being in a rural town I would have to travel a fair way to get it.

Many thanks.

bnw69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sedan. VY Ute.
Was it a professional 2k paint ? If so the supercheap stuff will be fine, just don't scrub to hard use a sponge and soak the bugs as much as possible to soften them. I use the supercheap soap before and after spraying because it has no wax and haven't had any problems, the reason they say no wax for 30 days is it seals the paint and doesn't let solvents escape, plenty of body shops give them a light hand wax before leaving to make them look better, personally I don't but each to their own on that one.
If it was sprayed with acrylic paint at home the supercheap soap should be ok but I have very limited experience with acrylic so test a small area first.

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
A PH neutral wash with no wax should be fine.
I sometimes use CT18 to strip waxes and crap off country cars prior to decontamination and waxes/sealant applications so maybe try that, although the Super cheap auto wash could be similar, but yeah, no waxes or additives should be all good for what you want.

EDIT: And yeah, always check a small area first to make sure it doesn't etch into the paint, or worse. If it's acrylic lots of things could react with it, be careful of bug and tar removers.

pinedeck

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore
Thanks for the replies bnw69 and sleepa. I just went and put a wet micro fibre cloth on all the bugs and let it soak then gently dried after. But nice to know that I can use that wash, will wait until its cooler to do complete wash. Many thanks for the quick replies, bnw69 I am not sure if it was a 2pk paint, it was done by a professional panel beating business. Cheers.