Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Water problem

ral

Reaction score
Members Ride
Alloytec vz commadore
Hi I have had my radiator changed on my 2004 vz commadore but I'm still having to add water every morning what could the problem be

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Hi I have had my radiator changed on my 2004 vz commadore but I'm still having to add water every morning what could the problem be
There are a heap of answers on this question over the years but the main things to check are
Was it a new radiator ??
Was it bled correctly ??
Is the radiator cap (located at the front of the plenum) good or krap ??
Is the coolant overflow bottle good or leaking ??
Can you see fluid under the car or around the engine bay ??

Remove the cover across the top of the radiator held by about 6 scriverts and have a good look around

ral

Reaction score
Members Ride
Alloytec vz commadore
There are a heap of answers on this question over the years but the main things to check are
Was it a new radiator ??
Was it bled correctly ??
Is the radiator cap (located at the front of the plenum) good or krap ??
Is the coolant overflow bottle good or leaking ??
Can you see fluid under the car or around the engine bay ??

Remove the cover across the top of the radiator held by about 6 scriverts and have a good look around
It was a new radiator I'm not sure what u mean by bleeding properly I can't see and coolant under the car bit when I check the radiator every morning I'm having to add qbit of water

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
They have a bleed nipple in the top of the drivers side radiator tank and it is for memory, plastic, so be gentle.
Most likely have to remove the cover panel above the radiator to access it easily.

You say you are adding coolant , where ?? at the overflow bottle or at the radiator cap ??
If I remove my radiator cap when the car is cool I can almost guarantee I will have to add coolant but very little.
Just keep topping up the overflow bottle for a few days and it may settle itself.

There are how to's on the forum including how to use a bleed kit, but to be honest I have never used a bleed kit and I have fitted 2 radiators to different VZ's over the years.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
are you adding to the recovery bottle or the radiator
may be just a faulty cap or a cheap radiator

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
The system has to be bled. Trapped air will be expelled and coolant drawn in. Thats where it is going. Into the cooling system. Please do t open the filler cap. The coolant needs to be refilled/topped up via the reservoir only.

Have a look at this thread. Scroll through to the air bleeding bit.
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/vz-ve-vf-alloytec-cooling-system-repairs.279976/

A workshop should have done this or they should have vacuum filled it which would have meant you’re not in this situation.