Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wh Statesman: Ac Control Removal. How?

R

rclark

Hi,

My AC fan has these positions:
Auto
High

Only 'High' is working. I want to remove the 'dash' panel that contains the radio/AC control...and see if I can diagnose/fix ( I am good with electronics)

How do I remove the Radio/AC contol panel safely????

(Car was new in 2000 - so will be similar to that vintage Commodore)

Cheers

Rob

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
Back in the VN - VS era there is what most people call the birdcage which is located under the plastic cover just infront of the windscreen.

That little birdcage was the cause of the trouble rather than the speed controller itself.

As for removing the dash and everything, I haven't got the faintest idea, I haven't had the pleasure yet of working on a Statesman

If you really want to give it a shot and rightfully so I would suggest heading out and getting a genuine Holden manual for the particular part you are after or a Gregorys manual from your local auto parts supplier. There is also the Max Ellery workshop manuals but unless they have improved somewhat I wouldn't touch them as they are hopeless.

Note if you do decide to get the Holden manual there are generally 7 or thereabouts in total, don't go buying them all just buy the one you are after.

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
ah, i got no idea, but i can tell you this, at work we would often see people come in with the same problem in their car's, would only work on 1 out of 5 speeds, found out it was a little variable resister in the controler it's self, unless you got a very good steady hand i wouldnt recomend replacing or trying to repair it. you would probably be better of just getting a totaly new one. but i do imagin they would be realy expensive

cheers
garth

R

rclark

Garth,

Where is the controller located?

- Behind dash?
- Engine bay?

Thanks for the info ...... I will head straight for the variable resistor .. when I find it!

Garth

Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
the controler is behind the dash

R

rclark

Garth,

Thanks for the info.

Now - with a WH Statesman, there is a plastic 'woodgrain' surround that goes over the radio/Climate Control/etc....which I have to remove.

Any ideas how to get it off. It looks flimsy - don't want to break it.

Cheers

Rob

Garth

Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
just thinking, when you got the car, did it come with a warranty? if it's still in warranty, i would strongly recomend taking it back to holden, i mean, you said it was current model in 2000, it should still be in warranty shouldnt it?

gsmrobinson

Reaction score
Sorry but have not had a chance to do a Wh statesman because most are still under w'tee but check out the How-to section on removing VN-VS radio. It MAY help but not too sure. Please post on how to do it when you work it out!
But what ever you do......TAKE YOUR TIME and don't force anything, because if its tight it just might have a hidden screw somewhere.

Kind regards GUY.

R

rclark

Garth et al,

It is 6 mths out of warranty :->

If it was under warranty - I would have taken it in in a flash!

Cheers

Rob

Garth

Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
dude, start swinging your arms at the holden dealer, personaly for the aircon to screw up so soon after i wouldnt be happy myself

cheers
garth