Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What amp do I need.

davleigh

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx SS Commodore
Hi all,
I have recently been given 2 x pioneer 1200watt subs.
Now I have a couple of amps I thought would be okay, but they will not run these 2 subs.

With size 4 channel amp should I be running to get the best out of my subs?

These are what I'm running.

2e4ahy9u.jpg

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks all

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
The subs are 4 ohm each and rated at 400Wrms... Ideally, you'd want a mono amp that does about 800Wrms at 2 ohm.

But since you're talking 4 channels, you'd want some thing that does 2 x 400Wrms at 4 ohm, which would be a 100Wrms x 4 amp from a high end manufacturer or a 150-200Wrms x 4 from an average brand. Which isn't going to be easy to find. Sell the 4 channel and buy a mono.

AmmoJammo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Wagon
Response Precision 4 x 100WRMS Class AB Amplifier - Jaycar Electronics

although you'd be better off getting a monoblock amp that does 800-1200watts into 2ohm, most likely something Alpine :p

But seeing as you have 10+ year old subs, in a prefab box, I'd guess you don't have a very large budget ;)

A better box would get a lot more gain from those subs than finding an amp that does a lot of power.

'ssv'

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY9.5 M6 UTE
Not sure how the guy above knows the specs of the box but audio enthusiasts like to wank on about how good thier **** is because it meets certain specs on paper.
Everyones ear is different and everyone has different tastes.
Take the old wine analogy as a perfect example. Some will swear buy the $600 bottle but in a blind test pick the $8 bottle as the favorite.

Not knowing the specs or volume of the subs or box, it will be pretty safe to assume they will pump hard being feed the max wrms.
Pioneer are not stupid and wouldn't market such subs in a box that doesnt sound good.
If you want to spend $2000 on subs then you will get much better quality sound that hits each octave but its like my mum compairing a hyundi i30 to amg e63. The i30 does everything she needs (gets to work and back) and is cheap. While the amg e63 does it a liitle bit better (in her eyes) its no where near the price tag. $20,000 vs 230,000.
She thinks this is just a stupid price to pay, when she can get a near enough to same result with the i30.

To answer your question, look for an amp that will put out the rms rating of the subwoofers. Eg the first response seems to know the wrms rating for these subs, so look for an amp that has the combined rating.
You should be able to pick up a half decent amp that will power these subs adequately for around $150 in oz or less then $100 if you buy from over seas. I recomend you buy from oz and support the local market some.
I dont know a hell of a lot about car audio and I wont pretend to but unless your entering sound comps for spl or sq then dont get caught upin the hype of quality you want su s that go boom any of these amps will do the job. Theres heaps out there that will do it better but price vs boom, these will be enough.

800 RMS Amp: Car Amplifiers | eBay

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
Not sure how the guy above knows the specs of the box but audio enthusiasts like to wank on about how good thier **** is because it meets certain specs on paper.
Everyones ear is different and everyone has different tastes.
Take the old wine analogy as a perfect example. Some will swear buy the $600 bottle but in a blind test pick the $8 bottle as the favorite.

Not knowing the specs or volume of the subs or box, it will be pretty safe to assume they will pump hard being feed the max wrms.
Pioneer are not stupid and wouldn't market such subs in a box that doesnt sound good.
If you want to spend $2000 on subs then you will get much better quality sound that hits each octave but its like my mum compairing a hyundi i30 to amg e63. The i30 does everything she needs (gets to work and back) and is cheap. While the amg e63 does it a liitle bit better (in her eyes) its no where near the price tag. $20,000 vs 230,000.
She thinks this is just a stupid price to pay, when she can get a near enough to same result with the i30.

To answer your question, look for an amp that will put out the rms rating of the subwoofers. Eg the first response seems to know the wrms rating for these subs, so look for an amp that has the combined rating.
You should be able to pick up a half decent amp that will power these subs adequately for around $150 in oz or less then $100 if you buy from over seas. I recomend you buy from oz and support the local market some.
I dont know a hell of a lot about car audio and I wont pretend to but unless your entering sound comps for spl or sq then dont get caught upin the hype of quality you want su s that go boom any of these amps will do the job. Theres heaps out there that will do it better but price vs boom, these will be enough.

800 RMS Amp: Car Amplifiers | eBay

Ammojammo know the specs of that box coz he is audio god. Nah, seriously, he has a lot of experience in car audio. That's why he can rattle off pre fab box specs. Listen to him. He knows his stuff.

AmmoJammo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Wagon

The box is ****, the subs don't suit a sealed box at all, and the prefab pioneer box is made out of 12mm mdf.

How do I know this? I have four of those subs, I have the same prefab box, I've never used the box, because a basic ported box for those subs will give much better results!

y3t7.jpg

ddpc.jpg

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Umm...dont know why no one has asked this yet... what amps do you have? If budget is tight then no sense spending money if perhaps something will do the job... may not be perfect but hey... my perfectness will make up for it eh? Lol

'ssv'

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY9.5 M6 UTE
Oh ok.
The size of that port says it all...
What sort of spl are you reaching with that monstrosity ammo?
Looks well built.

davleigh

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx SS Commodore
Response Precision 4 x 100WRMS Class AB Amplifier - Jaycar Electronics

although you'd be better off getting a monoblock amp that does 800-1200watts into 2ohm, most likely something Alpine :p

But seeing as you have 10+ year old subs, in a prefab box, I'd guess you don't have a very large budget ;)

A better box would get a lot more gain from those subs than finding an amp that does a lot of power.

Not a big budget at all, like I said, I was given the subs. I'm a stay at home dad atm. Otherwise I was happy not having them. But if your offered something for free like this, you snap it up. If I had have had the money and actually wanted a huge sound system I would have brought a full alpine type x system and blah blah blah.

So pretty much what I need is an 800 watt rms amp? I'm not to phased bout getting an overly so powerful sub. I just want something that is going to run the subs and not cut out.
I priced at Kenwood from autobarn for 449, but then they wanna charge 200 to install and wire.
To me, 200 is a rip off to run some wires, cos I can connect and tune the stuff myself.

The amps I have already are 1x pioneer monoblock 400w, 1x pioneer 800w 2channel and one kicker 600w 4 channel.
Running the kicker, was fine, til I turned it up, then it cut out an went to protection mode.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2