Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

WHAT COOLANT IS BEST FOR MY ENGINE? help!

r_i_d_a_h

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VS Commodore + '98 E36
what coolant is BEST for my 1997 VS commodore?
when i purchased the car it came with no user's manual!
so i have no idea on what type of recommended engine coolant shoud be used!

so what is the recommended engine coolant for my engine and what are some quality branded name coolants i can purchase! (list full coolant names.)

cheers guys! :D

Clacker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec Series II
what coolant is BEST for my 1997 VS commodore?
when i purchased the car it came with no user's manual!
so i have no idea on what type of recommended engine coolant shoud be used!

so what is the recommended engine coolant for my engine and what are some quality branded name coolants i can purchase! (list full coolant names.)

cheers guys! :D

Just go with the genuine Holden coolant you can get from auto one and other auto stores. It comes premixed. Might be an idea to flush your old system though if you are unsure what is currently in there. I believe even using the same colour coolant can get you in trouble.

Clacks

Stupa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU Storm
go get the nulon concentrate for commodores, falcons and toyota's, its good stuff Im running it in mine now.

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
I only use holden brand or tectaloy. but remember with holden brand coolant you need to use pellets aswell to lube the pump seal. they only cost about $5 from holden. tectaloy doesn't need them, as the lube is mixed in

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
Just go with the genuine Holden coolant you can get from auto one and other auto stores. It comes premixed. Might be an idea to flush your old system though if you are unsure what is currently in there. I believe even using the same colour coolant can get you in trouble.

Clacks

The genuine Holden coolant is a concentrate, and thats the one you need. Just pick it up from a Holden dealer, its about $39 for the 5 litre bottle, and about $12 or so for the 1 litre. Definately a good idea to flush the block and radiator completely before adding in the new coolant. Also, NEVER mix coolants, the chemical properties are different for each one, and can have a bad effect on the cooling system, sometimes even increasing corrosion.

For the V6 you will need 6 litres of the concentrate, and 6 litres of clean water. The capacity of the system in the VS V6 is 12 litres, which includes radiator, block, hoses etc and the reserve tank.

The best way I have found of getting all the concentrate in is to make sure your heater is set to full heat, remove the top radiator hose and thermostat, flush radiator, and remove bottom hose, then flush the block by putting the hose into the thermostat opening, and wait until clean water is coming from the bottom radiator hose. Then hook up the bottom radiator hose, pour the entire 5 litre concentrate into the radiator, then put the thermostat back in, bolt it all back together, put another 750mL concentrate into the reserve tank, then just fill the rest of the system with clean water, that way you have the correct 50/50 mix of coolant concentrate and water.

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
I only use holden brand or tectaloy. but remember with holden brand coolant you need to use pellets aswell to lube the pump seal. they only cost about $5 from holden. tectaloy doesn't need them, as the lube is mixed in

the pills dont actually lube anything, they are made from crushed walnut shells & the bits float around in the coolant & keep the scale off the rear of the waterpump seal.

just some useless trivia.lol

Rob

r_i_d_a_h

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VS Commodore + '98 E36
i hear its a good idea to replace the thermostat? how much will that cost? lol AND (sounds like a silly question) where is the thermostat of wuheva located in the engine?

btw. are there any other components that needs replacing while im on the coolant drainin job?

holden#1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S1 Executive V6

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
go get the nulon concentrate for commodores, falcons and toyota's, its good stuff Im running it in mine now.

I second that... get the 5L Long Life 100% concentrate.... flush your cooling system then use it all in you radiator and top the rest up with distilled water.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
the pills dont actually lube anything, they are made from crushed walnut shells & the bits float around in the coolant & keep the scale off the rear of the waterpump seal.

just some useless trivia.lol

Rob

Steady on there Doctor Bob, they ain't made from just any old walnut shells but extra fine hand-picked ones. My source says they are used to stop small leaks experienced during assembly. Back in the 70's, Jaguar used Barrs pellets in all Jaguars and they were part of the regular service items - trouble was that the pellets (reputably made from pepper) settled to the bottom of the radiator core and slowly but surely blocked the flow of water thru the engine. Cost the company a lot in $$$ and reputation. More useless trivia.