Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

WHAT COOLANT IS BEST FOR MY ENGINE? help!

Discussion in 'VR - VS Holden Commodore (1993 - 1997)' started by r_i_d_a_h, Dec 5, 2006.

1. r_i_d_a_h

r_i_d_a_h New Member

Members Ride:
    '97 VS Commodore + '98 E36
    what coolant is BEST for my 1997 VS commodore?
    when i purchased the car it came with no user's manual!
    so i have no idea on what type of recommended engine coolant shoud be used!

so what is the recommended engine coolant for my engine and what are some quality branded name coolants i can purchase! (list full coolant names.)

cheers guys! :D

2. Clacker

Clacker New Member

Members Ride:
    VS Exec Series II
    Just go with the genuine Holden coolant you can get from auto one and other auto stores. It comes premixed. Might be an idea to flush your old system though if you are unsure what is currently in there. I believe even using the same colour coolant can get you in trouble.

Clacks

3. Stupa

Stupa New Member

Members Ride:
    VU Storm
    go get the nulon concentrate for commodores, falcons and toyota's, its good stuff Im running it in mine now.

4. TheForgotten

TheForgotten only human......

Members Ride:
    VR EXEC
    I only use holden brand or tectaloy. but remember with holden brand coolant you need to use pellets aswell to lube the pump seal. they only cost about $5 from holden. tectaloy doesn't need them, as the lube is mixed in

5. Harvs82

Harvs82 New Member

Members Ride:
    MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & VS Exec
    The genuine Holden coolant is a concentrate, and thats the one you need. Just pick it up from a Holden dealer, its about $39 for the 5 litre bottle, and about $12 or so for the 1 litre. Definately a good idea to flush the block and radiator completely before adding in the new coolant. Also, NEVER mix coolants, the chemical properties are different for each one, and can have a bad effect on the cooling system, sometimes even increasing corrosion.

For the V6 you will need 6 litres of the concentrate, and 6 litres of clean water. The capacity of the system in the VS V6 is 12 litres, which includes radiator, block, hoses etc and the reserve tank.

The best way I have found of getting all the concentrate in is to make sure your heater is set to full heat, remove the top radiator hose and thermostat, flush radiator, and remove bottom hose, then flush the block by putting the hose into the thermostat opening, and wait until clean water is coming from the bottom radiator hose. Then hook up the bottom radiator hose, pour the entire 5 litre concentrate into the radiator, then put the thermostat back in, bolt it all back together, put another 750mL concentrate into the reserve tank, then just fill the rest of the system with clean water, that way you have the correct 50/50 mix of coolant concentrate and water.

6. Doctor Bob

Doctor Bob Grandpa

Members Ride:
    VT V6 Exec & VN V6 Exec

the pills dont actually lube anything, they are made from crushed walnut shells & the bits float around in the coolant & keep the scale off the rear of the waterpump seal.

just some useless trivia.lol

Rob

7. r_i_d_a_h

r_i_d_a_h New Member

Members Ride:
    '97 VS Commodore + '98 E36
    i hear its a good idea to replace the thermostat? how much will that cost? lol AND (sounds like a silly question) where is the thermostat of wuheva located in the engine?

btw. are there any other components that needs replacing while im on the coolant drainin job?

8. holden#1

holden#1 New Member

Members Ride:
    VS S1 Executive V6
    theres a few good threads on this topic - heres a good one

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/showthread.php?t=45995&highlight=change+thermostat

9. sixshooter

sixshooter New Member

Members Ride:
    2x VS
    I second that... get the 5L Long Life 100% concentrate.... flush your cooling system then use it all in you radiator and top the rest up with distilled water.

10. hako

hako Donating Member

Members Ride:
    VS11 BT1 V6
    Steady on there Doctor Bob, they ain't made from just any old walnut shells but extra fine hand-picked ones. My source says they are used to stop small leaks experienced during assembly. Back in the 70's, Jaguar used Barrs pellets in all Jaguars and they were part of the regular service items - trouble was that the pellets (reputably made from pepper) settled to the bottom of the radiator core and slowly but surely blocked the flow of water thru the engine. Cost the company a lot in $$$ and reputation. More useless trivia.

11. TheForgotten

TheForgotten only human......

Members Ride:
    VR EXEC
    hmmmmm... now that I know that... why do hoilden parts tell you they lube the seals then?

12. Michelson4301

Michelson4301 New Member

Members Ride:
    VS Super6 Utility 5 speed
    they have been misinformed. If it DID lube the seal that would indicate water is passing the seal, therefore the water pump bearings would be full of water and eventually fail. Not good.

13. ChRiDDa

ChRiDDa Member

Members Ride:
    VE SS-Z Sportswagon
    Castrol 350 anti-freeze, anti-boil or the genuine holden coolant
    be careful when purchasing, as the V6 Commodores take a "special" coolant thats different to most cars
    Expect to pay up to $40-50 for 5L of coolant, which is all that you will need
    V6 Commodore runs a 50/50 mix, with a total coolant capacity of around 10L, so 5L of coolant will fit the bill perfectly

14. struggo

struggo New Member

Members Ride:
    VS Berlina Series 2 V6
  15. 10YDY

10YDY Serial Pain In The Ass

Members Ride:
    VT Series 2 Wagon
    Awesome link. Just answered alot of my questions..........Thank you