Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What does a stall converter do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

J_D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 and VS V8 Statesman
I know quite a lot about cars but one area ive never delved into is stall converters. Im curious as to what they actually do and how they work. Also what is the drivability like with one? Thanks.

Last edited:

wayvr

R.I.P AAA-99P
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx cluby
in very basic terms a stallie, which is just a higher rpm torque converter than that found in your transmission now, acts much like a clutch. because a car needs come to a stop without stalling you need to have a device that takes up the turning force coming from the engine. on a manual this is done with a clutch, which "disengages" the transmission from the engine.
so on a auto trans the torque converter does this job. up to the converters set rpm it can easily take the turning force of the engine, meaning you need little brake pressure to keep the car stationary at an idling rpm of say 1000rpm.
once you start applying throttle while still holding the brakes you would notice that you need more break pressure to hold the car still, this is because the converter is letting more power through. having a higher rpm torque converter means you can raise the rpm higher while still being able to hold it still - this is called "stalling up", which makes for great take offs. the ideal rpm for a torque converter is a couple of hundred rpm before maximum torque, so once you reach its stall point all power will be delivered to the wheels at once.
thats about as basic as i can explain a stallie, its tricky to put in words like this

J_D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 and VS V8 Statesman
Thanks. Good explanation and easy to understand.

charged vp

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs wagon
so if you have a higher stall, what does it drive like when you are just cruising at a low rpm

Cobra30

Reaction score
Website
www.cobra30.com
Members Ride
VY V6 S2 Crewman
charged vp
I've fitted a 3000rpm converter to a previous car and initially noticed that it felt a little dead when I was just moving off normally - driving around the streets was just fine. Basically with the 3000rpm converter, I just needed to retrain my right foot a little and after driving around the block a couple of times it felt like taking off in a normal car.
When it came time to nail it from the lights, the difference was considerable - the revs could jump up more and I'd leave everyone for dead............
It was a great mod, especially in combination with a performance trans.
I liked the setup so much that I made the same mods on my next car.

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
ive got a 2800 rpm stall in my ute, driving round town its not too bad it sits on about 2200 revs all the time under light throttle then when you give it some boot it jumps up above 3000 rpm in an instant, bogs down and off it goes....most of the time tho it just wheelspins when driving under 50 k's:whistling

AttaBoy

WTF?!?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
what actually makes the converter work??? is it filled with trans fluid??

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
Yes the torque converter is filled with fluid. The fluid is automatically pumped into it when the car is running.
Some torque converters have a drain plug.
From memory a high stall converter costs about $600 plus fitting. Dominator ones are popular and they can rebuild your own one or do a change over. 2500-3000 rpm stall would make a good performance converter.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/torque-converter.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.