Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What does MY09 and MY08 etc mean

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Series 1 2 and 3 worked fine. If it aint broke, don't fix it ;)

Like i said, its just a scam to suck in people who don't know what it truely means :)

If they did that to the VE, they'd be up to Series 6 or 7 by now. This model seems to have had so many changes and upgrades, it would have been crazy to apply the "Series" designations to it.

And in all honesty, the factory would be more concerned with what it does to make its own life easier, any confusion the system causes to the customer would be inconsequential.

The model year changes around September each year, which has been the practice with GM in the States for many years.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
whats so hard about reading the place card to find out year/model/series ? :banstick:

I don't have a VE, so I don't know what info appears on the plate, but as members of the forum know they have an MY09/9.5 etc, I assume that is what appears on the plate these days?

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
If they did that to the VE, they'd be up to Series 6 or 7 by now. This model seems to have had so many changes and upgrades, it would have been crazy to apply the "Series" designations to it.

And in all honesty, the factory would be more concerned with what it does to make its own life easier, any confusion the system causes to the customer would be inconsequential.

The model year changes around September each year, which has been the practice with GM in the States for many years.

So theres 6 or 7 different MY years then? Not seeing the difference.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
So theres 6 or 7 different MY years then? Not seeing the difference.

I'm not sure I see your point, but I imagine keeping the Series idea would make it a bit difficult to market and sell the car as it aged.

Who would want to buy a new "Series 7", when previous models only went to Series 2 generally before they were replaced with the next model? Series 7 tells you it's an old model that has had a lot of updates - not that it's a new car.

I suspect it has something to do with marketing as well as factory convenience. It might just be Holden falling into line with GM standard practice, too.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Like i mentioned before, other models have been doing this for years, so its nothing new.

And i think you just proved my point with 'who would want to buy a new series 7', they'd much rather buy a MY10 model in 2009, and then sell it for more when they upgrade, to unsuspecting buyer who thinks its a 2010 model :)

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Fine. You guys believe in your conspiracy theories all you like. Holden will continue to sell the cars new and buyers will continue to buy them used and won't give a rat's a*** how the company designates them.

calais24/7

Mucca Mad Boys
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais II 5L, 98 rodeo v6
Fine. You guys believe in your conspiracy theories all you like. Holden will continue to sell the cars new and buyers will continue to buy them used and won't give a rat's a*** how the company designates them.

I see where you are comming from though but just dont see the need for them to do it

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride

I don't remember saying people would stop buying them because of this new designation.....Are you even in this thread?
I just said its a stupid way of doing things. No different to the millions of other opinions on things manufactures do all over the world.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I don't remember saying people would stop buying them because of this new designation.....Are you even in this thread?
I just said its a stupid way of doing things. No different to the millions of other opinions on things manufactures do all over the world.

Jesus Stealthy, it's your opinion and your entitled to it, just as I am to mine. As usual, we don't agree. Leave it at that.

And of course I'm in this thread - I'm sure others are quite capable of judging for themselves, even if you can't.

Don't bother replying - I know how you ALWAYS have to get the last word in, and I'm done with this thread. Go and argue with your dog.