Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[NSW] What family sedan to buy after commodore

Hertz Donut

Reaction score
Members Ride
Beastmode VS Equipe
Or maybe a V36 Skyline or the like.

Mike Litherous

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ssv
The 4door large sedan when commodore and falcon goes will be (assuming rear wheel drive) will be that Chrysler 300 or maybe some bottom end Mercedes c200 or BMW 320. To get similar size to commodore in euro car u would need either e class merc a6 Audi or BMW 5 series all these base models will be close to 6 figures.

If ok for 2nd hand there are plenty of bargains but u still have the high service bills.

I've driven a few e39 BMW m5's recently and they go pretty hard and have manual rear wheel drive but you are looking at 15yo cars and reasonably expensive cars of fix if they go wrong + not much bang for buck in modifying them.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Some learn from mistakes and others don't.
You sound like you belong in category 2

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
I expected some good ideas

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Interest and priorities change over time.
10 yrs ago i had no issue tinkering and fixing ****. In fact i enjoyed it. These days i have no time for that.
I am after well built, reliable, well engeenered car.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Xonar

All you had to do was give a bit more useful information in your first post and you might have received more useful advice in return. Your post was vague and ambiguous and gave the impression that you had been a long term Commodore owner because they met your needs. You completely failed to say that you thought they were poorly made.

If you had said that you wanted something more reliable and better built, we might have come up with other suggestions.

And if you're going to respond to posts, try quoting them so that it's clear which posts you are responding to.

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
My 2 cents...

Just wait for whatever GM is going to send down under... Owned few FWD GMs, Pontiacs and Chevys and they are not that bad as family haulers. All they do is haul people and some cargo in the boot.

The bad part is, finding one with the Commodore size and towing capacity will not be easy. The SUV is as close is going to be.

As Calaber said; be a bit more specific to narrow down the choices.

The Commodore is a ****-box? I beg the difference, honestly, is a great car and mine has been a highly dependable vehicle. There are few bad apples out there. In the States is a very positive one, to the point that whoever owns one do not want to part ways with them. Hell, if Household 6 let me have another one I will !

Is very true, you do not know what you have until is gone.

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
My 2 cents...

Just wait for whatever GM is going to send down under... Owned few FWD GMs, Pontiacs and Chevys and they are not that bad as family haulers. All they do is haul people and some cargo in the boot.

The bad part is, finding one with the Commodore size and towing capacity will not be easy. The SUV is as close is going to be.

As Calaber said; be a bit more specific to narrow down the choices.

The Commodore is a ****-box? I beg the difference, honestly, is a great car and mine has been a highly dependable vehicle. There are few bad apples out there. In the States is a very positive one, to the point that whoever owns one do not want to part ways with them. Hell, if Household 6 let me have another one I will !

Is very true, you do not know what you have until is gone.
Oh I did. I went from a hand built '55 Holden hotrod to a '02 Commo wagon by way of a '85 Subaru wagon. Commo's Bloody brilliant ! Big Car for a Big country , cold aircon, big space without being a 'truck'...and then they close the shop....not happy.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Xonar

All you had to do was give a bit more useful information in your first post and you might have received more useful advice in return. Your post was vague and ambiguous and gave the impression that you had been a long term Commodore owner because they met your needs. You completely failed to say that you thought they were poorly made.

If you had said that you wanted something more reliable and better built, we might have come up with other suggestions.

And if you're going to respond to posts, try quoting them so that it's clear which posts you are responding to.

Good call.
Did not realise quotes were not included

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
I am considering new Subaru liberty as rwd only options are limited in my price bracket...
Let me burn in hell but i am even giving some though to 2016 wrx !