Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What is this badge from?

seraphic06

Woodgrain Nut
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina Wagon, VS Caprice Series II 5.0
I bought some car badges at a garage sale over the weekend and this one has me baffled. What is it from? Or is it an aftermarket badge?

Thanks. Badge01.jpgBadge02.jpg

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Dont know but its a late 50's early 60's one, as the GMH logo under the lions paw was I think only used for a short time...but Im no expert, maybe vauxhall holden badge or check out some of the cars assembled here from the late 50's :)

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
I'd say it one someones made to look old. Looks nothing like I've ever seen before, especially with the carbon fibre looking background.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
I'm thinking along the same lines as Wozza. Must be from about the early 50's.
I spent a bit of time on google looking for it last night and had no luck.
What stands out to me is the details of the lion and the gmh brand on the badge match a lot of what I saw from the very early holden badges.
I personally have never seen 1 like it myself.

# Could possibly become a collectors item and be worth a few bucks

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
I am on another forum called OldHolden.com | Old Holden Internet Resource they have a lot of people into the old GMH stuff, I can post it on there and see whether anyone knows what it is from.

Edit: I took the liberty and posted the pic on Old Holden forum, will see what response we get.

Last edited:

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
Holden were coach builders in their early days. They built car bodies and upholstery for a lot of different manufacturers. I would say that the badge is not for a Holden car, but is for car that Holden coach builders built.

markalan1two

Smile and wave boys !!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
X5 BMW, GenF2 GTS, HSV Y R8, AMG C43
Holden were coach builders in their early days. They built car bodies and upholstery for a lot of different manufacturers. I would say that the badge is not for a Holden car, but is for car that Holden coach builders built.
problem with that is that under the lion paw you can see the letters "G M H" so would have to be after they joined with general motors

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I'm looking at the pic on my phone so details are not clear but I'd say it could be a badge fitted to a Holden-built body on an imported chassis dating from the early 30's, just after the GM takeover in 1931, when Holden built locally designed bodies for various manufacturers, not just GM, as Treecutter said.

In fact some Holden designs were more advanced than the US built equivalent. They developed the "sloper", a sort of fastback body for various Chev's around 1938/39 and were pressing all steel turrets when Chev was still using canvas inserts in some models.

Edit. Just looked at the pic close up
The style of emblem in the centre of the large V is identical to the Holden emblem used on FE and FC models so cancel my comments above. I'd guess that it's not a factory item unless it was fitted to a CKD import locally assembled during the mid to late 50's. As it has no part number cast on the back (Holden part numbers started with 74 in those days) i think it's more likely to be aftermarket.

Last edited:

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
The boys over on the Old Holden forum think they have solved the riddle, they reckon it is an Early Mazda Antelope Badge with a Holden badge stuck onto it.

Early Mazda Rotary Badge.jpg