Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 What options do i have????????

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Get yourself a Haltec, Motec or any type of aftermarket ECU. We have a Haltec on FORGVN, goes like the clappers.

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
What for? The Delco is more than capable of running a 355, i don't see the point when the existing ECU is up to the task....Seams like a waste of money to me!

agreed. standard ecu has plenty of functions in it to handle most engines

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Personal preference I suppose. You don't need all the readers and writers for a memcal, just a laptop. The software is free, there are even tunes floating around to load and then refine.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
The haltec is great when you have to do stuff like switch blowers off based on load and rpm like Luke does with it, otherwise there's no point

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
This car came with it and to be able to play with the tune with a keystroke is very handy.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Yep, handy but not worth being put off the road for (happens alot around here with aftermarket ecu's)

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
This car was regularly driven but it has been taken off the road as a drag car project. Building a burnout car at the same time as well as getting the VN LPG car sorted too. And just bought a Senator so we are busy....

Going fast is directly proportionate to how much money you throw at it. But the curve gets steeper the faster you go. To go fast with a stock engine doesn't take a huge amount of cash, but the faster you go the more money you have to spend to achieve less increases.

96SEN8R

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS and VS Senator 215i
I have talked things over with my uncle (enginebuilder) and he has told me what to get and how much its going to cost.

I have chosen to go with a 355 With Forged Pistons, H Beams etc. The cam is still undecided on but it will be a roller so i will be trying to source a VT Block. If i cant find one i will still be using the same setup with just a hydraulic cam.

I will also be going with 3.45 gears and the box will be left how it is.

Thanks for your help guys.

You dont need a vt block man. camtech and maybe more companys make roller lifters for the 5L non roller block. You will be looking at 1200 for a set but even if you went for a vt block, the lifters would still be pricey. If you can afford a roller, dont even think of comprimising for a flat tappet.

pedrotski

Big Stato!!
Reaction score
Website
www.whitcroftit.com.au
Members Ride
95 & 96 VS 5L Statos
Well to get everything done is going to cost me just shy of 6k (forgies, h beams, cam, heads ported, machined, honed, decked etc etc the usual, excluding tune). So i think im going to just use my old block. I actually have 2 5L stato's. 1 on gas (Steven) and my "tuff" car (Stacey).

Im going to pull the motor from Steven (since its piss weak and the previous owner didn't really look after it) and use it for my build up. And drop the current engine from stacey into steven.

Steven may be going supercharged, as someone i know has one up for sale for $1500.

This way i end up with 2 pretty awesome street cars. the supercharged for the daily, and stacy the 355 for the weekend.

The only reason why my uncle changed my mind is because when i got quotes to get all this done at some other engine shops, it usually ended up in the $15,000 range. **** that. And when he said how much he can do (and has done it for), i pretty much jizzed in my pants.