Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What sizes can my motor be bored to ?

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
If you don't know what the cam is, don't simply refer to it as a 3/4 race cam....And i'll tell you right now, the cam in a Brock commo could hardly be referred to as a "3/4 race cam"!

You obviously listen to old dudes too much....Thats what they used to call cams back in the 70's.

nicko

Carbon Positive - DO IT!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
75 cruiser ute
Blown V6: 3/4 race cam?? sorry i dont know the exact specs/or what it is exactly, the cam im talking about is in my old mans VH SS peter brock special (308) so i retract my previous statement.

Nicko: Where in his first post did he say anything about the cost of stroking it?? And ya never said anything about the cost except for "what a waste of hard earned money" ... aint exactly a cost is it.

The question was about boring it out, yeah sure throw out the idea of stroking it, but dont rag on ppls posts.

People get that i was refering to it costing a decent amount of money to bore out the 5L. If you didnt then you would prob be stupid enough to spend that sort on money on a vn with 300,000kms on it.

To the OP: I would maybe have a look around at a wreaked commo with a 5L low kays on it to replace the tired one you have now. Should be able to pick up a 5L with half those kays fairly cheap mate.

1BEAST2NV

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 (MY09) VE R8 6.2ltr M6 475rwhp
If you don't know what the cam is, don't simply refer to it as a 3/4 race cam....And i'll tell you right now, the cam in a Brock commo could hardly be referred to as a "3/4 race cam"!

You obviously listen to old dudes too much....Thats what they used to call cams back in the 70's.

I refered to it as that because thats what i was told it was along time ago, thats why i take back my previous statement.....

There are Plenty of young dudes out there that talk bullshi*t about engines, so i guess it evens itself out.

1BEAST2NV

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 (MY09) VE R8 6.2ltr M6 475rwhp
People get that i was refering to it costing a decent amount of money to bore out the 5L. If you didnt then you would prob be stupid enough to spend that sort on money on a vn with 300,000kms on it.

my bad, i mis-under stood your post, i thought you where saying all those things i said where a waste of money and that i actually get those done, i personally would'nt get that stuff done, was just throwing those ideas out there.

plenty of smashed v8 out there, so should be too hard to find a second hand one.

v8_bomberdore

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp 5L
30 thou would be plenty , u want to leave as much meat there as possible, if u rebuild go the stroker 355 for sure and some 10 to 1 pistons

sir355

Father Figure
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SENATOR 215, HZ ute
20- 30 thou is wat you want. 60 thou is the limit, and it wont last that long, the vn motors don't have as much meat in them compared witht the vr/s motors.
There's no difference in rebuilding a motor thats done 100 000 or 300 000. If its being rebuilt, its being rebuilt. You should look at one of the crow packs, there stage 1 or maybe 2. It all depends on how much you have to spend and how fast you want to go.
Don't go down the track that a lot of young guys do and put a big cam in a standard motor. you will only go backwards. Have a good think about wat you want to achieve now and later and formulate a plan.
And who ever it was telling him its a waste of money, where do you get off, he asked a lagit question, you are obviously on the wrong site
Catcha!!!!
Good luck