Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What will i need to swap motors

sc0tt187

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 vt calais 5litre v8
Hi everyone im changing the motor over in a vt commodore iv never done this before its just the motor being swapped not the gearbox any suggestions will be greatly appreciated :)

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Hi everyone im changing the motor over in a vt commodore iv never done this before its just the motor being swapped not the gearbox any suggestions will be greatly appreciated :)

Ummm what engine do you have and what engine are you swapping to? That sort of information is really helpful.

sc0tt187

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 vt calais 5litre v8
Iv got 2 3.8 litre v6 motors ones litterally screwed both ecotech motors just need to know what gaskets etc ill need

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Iv got 2 3.8 litre v6 motors ones litterally screwed both ecotech motors just need to know what gaskets etc ill need

If your just unbolting one engine and replacing with the other, you shouldn't need any gaskets.
Also it's Ecotec. Good luck with the engine swap.

sc0tt187

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 vt calais 5litre v8
So i take it its gonna be a prick of a job bein an ecotech motor?? :s

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
It's a piece of piss mate, couple of bolts on the engine mounts (I strongly suggest you replace those while you're at it) and 10 (?) IIRC on the bell housing, disconnect all hoses, wires and cables then you can hoist her out. I'd also do exhaust manifold gaskets while I was at it too.

Trickiest bit if you're not familiar with the Eco is where all the ancillary bits go, but if you take lots of pics all over you can refer to them or post back here.