Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

When does acceleration become 'uncomfortable'

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
Interesting story in the current Wheels where they're interviewing Jaguar honchos about its new luxury electric vehicle (i-Pace or something). Some obvious comparisons come up in the questioning about how powerful/fast it will be compared to Tesla ect. The Jag guy says they never intended to compete with Tesla for the performance market and said if you look at Tesla's 0-100km/h time of 2.9s, there comes a point where acceleration like that is not comfortable anymore.

So is he right? Or is Jaguar just outgunned and can't admit it?

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I've never had the opportunity to accelerate that fast in a car.

I have been on a couple of bikes that would have gone there. I didn't find that uncomfortable at all....quite the contrary.

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
I think it depends on the market. My wife doesn't like it when I give my new Redline a boot full in first and second (M6), but she didn't mind the linear delivery of the V6 auto CalaisV.
For me it's a no brainer, pack in as much performance as you can, only use what you want.

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
The latest R35 GTR will run 2.7 0-100. Would be interesting to drive one.

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Never ever ever ever ever

As long as you can stay awake for the G Forces, then bring it on

strgas

GRA = REAL HP
Reaction score
Members Ride
MERC W124 / toys WB tonner WB Panelvan project
When the steering wheel is on full lock and the back end still keeps coming round thats uncomfortable .
end of the day who reallys cares about 0-100 times when your stuck in the morning comute to work stuck behind a truck or bus or a dam tram

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
0-100 in less than 3 seconds is insane and not practical in the real world anyway.

It is fine for a sports car where you want to be pinned back in the seat but not for every day driving.

I am sure Jag could chase these figures, but why spend the time and resources when that isn't even the market you are chasing?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Exactly, where would you ever be able to get to test those numbers? figure you would need to go through a full launch control sequence to get that sort of performance, by the time you have it all set the lights would have gone red again......

Just watch the episode of the Grand Tour where they test the Porsche, Ferrari and Mclaren and how consistently inconsistent they all were when drag racing with 3 guys behind the wheel who arguably should be familiar with those type of launch control systems!

At the end of the day, Jag's primary market is luxury with performance added on which is something they do fairly well. Best stick what your good at.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
sudden deceleration is much worse, lol.

They sound like idiots saying that, because they could just have different modes set to reduce to say an economy or slower everyday mode and a sport mode - I haven't read the article but it sounds from what you've described as absolute garbage journalism.

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
Exactly, where would you ever be able to get to test those numbers? figure you would need to go through a full launch control sequence to get that sort of performance, by the time you have it all set the lights would have gone red again......

At the end of the day, Jag's primary market is luxury with performance added on which is something they do fairly well. Best stick what your good at.

Yeah this was kinda my thinking, Jag is perfectly capable of producing something that fast but I found it interesting to actually hear a car maker say acceleration at that level is kinda beyond the point most people want or enjoy. All I've seen in the past decade or so is manufacturers pushing the HP envelope to stupid levels competing with each other (AMG, M, Tesla, HSV/FPV, hypercars etc) when it's all pretty academic for 99.9% of driving/drivers.

Give me a Tesla half as fast to 100km/h for a lot less cash any day.