Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

When t's Time I's Time

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I think the number and content of posts thus far in this thread is a good indication of your reputation on this forum. I hope you do beat your illness as you deserve so much more. Good luck and I hope you do pop back every now and again if nothing else but to say hi.

Heron SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 NT Pajero Exceed, 1984 VK SL
I havent had any personal dealings with you, but i have seen many of your posts and can see how highly everyone on here thinks of you. Best of luck with the future, i have a few close family members who are battling cancer and i know the emotional and physical toll it can take.

Stay strong, dont let the black dog get you.

Brett

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
thanks everyone - it has been a very sad time in my life - sailing along nicely and then the doctor rings and says he wants to see me - that my PSA level was 4 times normal! So I make the appointment not having a clue what he was talking about.

It soon sat me back on my bum! The PSA blood test is zero to 2.1 normal, up to 4 is Ok, but 4 - 6 is watch zone, 6 - 8 red zone and 8 - 10 is most likely cancer and I had a reading of 8.06. he says 50% chance of cancer as I had no water works symptoms at all. So I have the test repeated and a the next week it's still at 7.89. Better - but still in the red zone. Only option is a biopsy of the prostate - and what fun that is - NOT. So the day arrives and I see the doctor to hear the words you have cancer. It's small and slow growing type and very treatable - very good survival rate. They give you a big book to read and send you on your way to look over the treatment options.

The book is full of horror stories of erectile dysfunction, loss of bladder control (in nappies for up to a year), bleeding, trouble in all areas. Those that have it out face a 50% chance of nothing working again. So some do OK. If you don't have it out (to keep the sex going) face the prospect of the cancer spreading to other parts of the body, so the active watching and testing goes on every year and then every 3 months until you have it out. If you just have chemo and radiation treatment you have scaring and the prospect of it returning within a few years. The book has many case studies for you to look over and none end well.

The average life span form diagnosis is 8 years, if you unlucky less. So very treatable - but there is nothing in the book that readies you for the emotional head #### that settles into your life.

We need to make choices and fast.

I did not do so well and slipped into a very depressed state unable to function in any normal way. This was so strange for me as normally my life was full on all the time - always doing stuff and working. But I found my self in a dark place every day getting worse.

I was told I need pills to make me function. But I soon found out that it was others in my life that was not making my days any easier. So of the head doctors to be told I have most of the autistic traits and this will never change.

So after 30 years of marriage (to the same woman) I had to leave - I remember the past as yesterday with feelings of hurt that can not be undone. There was never going to be a way to "fix" me anytime soon. Pills were probably the way to go - but I chose not to.

I have opted for a place of normal - a benign existence for a while and my dad's place is it. So far I've bee here for 4 weeks and already making good progress. But to be effective I need to let go of all the things I have. This sadly includes the clusters and looms, and here.

The sadness returns as I type this but it must be done. It's a very public thing to do - but I feel that it's the only way I can move on with my life - what time I have left.

So as hard as it is to do - it is time.

I've loved my time on here - solving problems and helping people. In fact it's probably the only thing I'm proud of after my fabulous 3 kids. All 3 have turned out way smarter than me :)

So many people to thank - but I can not name some and not others - so you know who you are - the people that have helped me over the years keeping the VN wagon on the road - it was returned form death row 3 or 4 times over the 425,000kms.

Over the next 2 months I will sell everything I own and start again some place - a visit to the states is the headline act for the bucket list. I have friends from 35 years ago wiling to put me up, a brother that wants me to find a yank tank for him, so good reasons to go.

When I get back it's treatment time and have to make a choice on what sort of life I want - 4 or 5 years of wild time lol or a longer less active life (if you know what I mean)

So this is it - the plan for now. sell up and fly away for a while.

I'm thinking of offering the clusters and looms as a bulk lot - will think about this tomorrow. Probably not worth all that much - but don't know if I want to make 100 boxes to send them off one at a time. I don't have the energy any more. Drained for now.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Thanks for sharing your story , it's a subject that's taboo for a lot of men and something they don't feel comfortable about getting checked yours sounds very much treatable .
I wish you the best and hope you have a full recovery

Kia Kaha
Ian aka 665

Last edited:

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
All the best for the future Shane...whatever it may bring.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Very sorry Shane, after meeting you once in person and seeing the quality of your work and the knowledge you posses, the forum is definitely loosing one of it's greats.

All the best looking forward, hope you have the trip of a lifetime over in the states.

Last edited:

Trennaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
Qwerty
Holy #### mate.

I read the first post, and every other post in this thread the other day, just returned to read your last one just then.

I never dealt with you, but you have made an impact on this forum, so it goes without saying that you're a credible person, and one who is generous and helpful.

I literally teared up reading that you're onto a bucket list. Everyone talks about it, more jokingly than seriously, but going ahead with one would be ####ing hard to crunch.

I respect your movements, and I'm sure I speak for all the members of JustCommodores when I say I wish you the absolute best for a pain free remainder and wish you nothing but the best of a **** situation.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
This is so much harder that what I thought it would be - some how just thought I would say bye and be on my way!

But no - I feel like I have said good bye to so many good friends and feel real pain in doing so. But I do need to get things in order - not leave it to others and for now I do have some time to do things. It's only after treatment starts that things can go pear shaped - for about half of the cases. Some do recover - so there is that to look forward to! But if one of the unlucky ones - now is the time to do things. So that's my focus for now - clear out the shed, sell the house and go.

Make what I can from the time I have in what can be called good health for now. On the outside you cant tell. On the inside my heads a mess.

I hope to travel some of Australia - may even hit Tazzie for a while next year. So may have the chance to meet a few people along the way. Not sure. My head may be in a better place by then. I may have better support in a home life - just don't know - but will drop the fear at some point and get back to making the best of every day - I know I need to do this, but just seems out of reach for now.