Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

When will the last VF 2 sell?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Calaber, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Calaber

Calaber Nil Bastardo Carborundum

Members Ride:
    CG Captiva 5 Series 2
    On another thread, there has been a great deal of discussion regarding the purchase of VF2 V8 models before stock runs out. It's pretty obvious that the last new VF V8 will sell well before the last VF2 V6 goes and probably before Commodore production ceases altogether.

Holden claim that they have manufactured sufficient Alloytecs to see out planned production, and that the VF2 stocks will last until the NG is introduced around March 2018. It's more than likely that after October this year, they'll only have V6's left to sell.

A couple of questions then.

What do they sell if they run out of VF's altogether before March? Apart from the Colorado and dirt cheap Captivas, they don't seem to be selling much else.

Will the SV6 then sell out because it's generally the most popular model, leaving only Evokes and Calais to sell?

How long will it take to shift the last VF2?

2. Smitty

Smitty Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Gen-F R8 Tourer wagon
    .. last VF will be sold sometime in the 2nd qrtr of 2018
    as
    Telstra Vicpol and the RTA have ordered vehicles on Holden ( a total of 2500 I believe) .. but have requested delivery
    NOT to occur until 2018

3. figjam

figjam Active Member

Members Ride:
    Monaro CV8 series 3 & Cross 6 Crewman
    I reckon the V8s will end before the shutdown, because when they run out of engines, that’s it.
    Could also be the case for the V6s, I don’t think there will be a stockpile of VFs before the NoGo Commodore, unless dealers make sales unattractive to the private sales sector by profiteering.
    As for corporations wanting delivery in 2018, those cars will already be ‘sold’, unless the deal is cancelled.
    For those wanting a large RWD car, panic is about to set in, creating a demand. There are discussions already on this forum about limited choice.

4. Zeke Topanaga

Zeke Topanaga Member

Members Ride:
    VF SS Manual
    They will not run out of V8's that's for sure, because they just import them engines in.

5. figjam

figjam Active Member

Members Ride:
    Unless I am very much mistaken, Holden have bought the last of the LS3 production, so it is not just a matter of importing them, there is no more.
    Somebody please correct me if I am very much mistaken.

6. lmoengnr

lmoengnr Active Member

Members Ride:
    MY12.5 Maloo R8 & MY12 Redline ute
  7. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VS 5 Litre BT1
    I was of the same understanding as figjam.

If that's not the case, why all this limited allocation hullabaloo and not just build cars to demand ?

8. Smitty

Smitty Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Gen-F R8 Tourer wagon
    not hullabaloo in my opinion....
    Holden have limited V8 engines (ditto V6) and they are building only a certain qty of each.

They have allowed for the Chevy USA export program, the police and large customer orders (not sales yet), HSV builds
    and will build accordingly based on remaining days of production.

And to get this happening, they have allocated each dealer a certain number of V8 models (SS SSv Redline etc)
    and once sold... NO MORE .!

I have seen the correspondence from Holden to 2 dealers on this. One of them was selling about 450 V8 Commodore
    models a year in the past (out of a total of 800 cars) .... this year they got allocated 186 . Thats it... not one more.
    And V6 models are only being built to a 'deposit paid' retail customer or 'purchase order received' from a business customer
    AND proof of these have to be supplied to Holden before they will put a car on the line

VS 5.0 likes this.
  9. figjam

figjam Active Member

Members Ride:
    I must have been dreaming.
    Sometime ago, somewhere,( in a galaxy far, far away) I read production of the Mexican ls3 was ceasing as it did not meet emissions standards anymore, that Holden (who have an exemption from the Euro4 emissions ?? ) had bought the last of the ls3 engines, and once they were gone, game over.
    But I can’t find any reference to that now.
    Yes, GM are going to continue with various V8s, in US pick-ups (utes), because trucks don’t have the same regulations as passenger cars.

10. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VS 5 Litre BT1
    Yep, that was my understanding.

11. lmoengnr

lmoengnr Active Member

Members Ride:
    MY12.5 Maloo R8 & MY12 Redline ute

This was the case with the HSV 325/340kw tune.

The 304kw Holden tune is compliant.

12. SuckSqueezeBangBlow

SuckSqueezeBangBlow Active Member

Members Ride:
    Heroin White VF2 SS Wagon
    I thought they had the LT1, direct injection (which may turn out to be more prone to sludge) for new offerings in the USA, and that the LS3 is essentially their old product. Crate engines are a different kettle of fish, but production cars need newest fuel efficient and pollution tech.

13. c2105026

c2105026 Member

Members Ride:
    1981 Volvo 244, 2015 Mazda3 Neo Hatch
    Even though production stopped 6 months ago, there are at least 35 new falcons in stock according to Carsales.

Unless for some emotional reason you must have a muscle car or race car, I see no reason why one should turn their nose up at the NG Commodore. In saying that it is up against the Mazda 6 amonst strong competitors. However, the medium car segment I think is going the way of the large car segment (extinction). I don't see that many new Mazda6, Liberty, Mondeo, Malibu about....Camry still seems to sell ok, but I dare say that is down to price and discounting. Small cars still sell because they are now big enough to be useful as family cars.

Calaber likes this.