Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Whoa, Black Betty - VY SS 6 Speed

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Allow me to introduce Betty. A fun packed VY SS 6 speed that needs some serious cosmetic love but she was on the road for a song, 220k on the clock.

It once was a dead stock series 1 VY SS with leather, TV/DVD player and tow-pack options from factory. Spent most of its life as a family car. The thing that really grabbed me was that the previous owner spent some serious coin on it and took really good care of it mechanically, runs smooth and quiet, great compression, new clutch and only the expected T56 clunks and groans. He treated the paint and interior like **** towards the end of their run though. It was sitting around for nearly 18 months in a neighbors front yard.

20180212_200929~01.jpg

Mods
Eaton M122 blower
Snow VC-50 water injection system (50/50 water-meth)
PAC1219 valve springs
EV8 stainless exhaust valves
Empire 4 into 1 long tube, 3" outlet
Xforce 3" twin system
PBR C5 brake kit front and rear (330mm)
SportsRyder kit with Nolathane, camber kit and strutbar
VE 60th Anniversary 18" rims

Not my first choice in suspension but combined with the T56 and C5's it certainly handles a whole lot better than a VS Commodore. I'd forgotten how much fun manuals can be and it sounds pretty damn nice (and loud). No idea on the power output but it's definitely slower than Mangforce 1 on launch and in a straight line......but that torque. Gives a man wood.

Actually it puts out a strong 307.8rwkw, with oodles of torque from down low...

20180426_165650~01~01.jpg

Plans are ambitious as always
Tidy up
Refresh top end
Boost all the pretty things

Custom fab intake
Twin 3" exhaust
4 to 1's

Intercooler
Shoalhaven secret recipe cam
Secondary water injector

pic25092017172445436~01~01.jpg

20180324_140908~01.jpg

20180429_144748.jpg

20180429_144813.jpg

20180331_135516.jpg

Last edited:

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Lots happening lately, interior is looking fit for humans now. Replaced sway bar bushes and link pins, it's amazing the impact when they're stuffed. Also dropped some fresh fluid in the trans. Besides being brown and smelling like **** it was about 500ml short. I've not only chucked in a fresh 4L of Dex III (Nulon semi-synth) I rolled her up on her side and threw in an extra 500ml as per Tremec advice. Immediate difference to the box, quieter and shifts are much better. New fuel filter went in, bit of a PITA as per the Internet but not too bad if you're patient.

Next on the mech list will be clutch fluid change, LSD fluid and new driveshafts which should be about it until it's boost time for tiny town.

Lined up a new JVC head unit and ISO's for plug and play plus I get to keep the steering wheel controls. I'm lining up an IR receiver and headphones for the TV in the rear, separating it from the stereo so the adults in the front aren't subjected to entertainment they can't see.

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
Ram Jam, looking good

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Got any before & after interior pics ?

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Got any before & after interior pics ?

Here's some befores, I'll grab some afters today, decided work can get stuffed and am cleaning all the spilled plaster out of the boot. He used Betty as a ute replacement (he's a builder) for about 3 months while waiting for his new ute and Betty had been replaced with a Gen-F for family purposes *facepalm*

Last edited:

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Held off on pics til the work was complete. I've put the glove-box back together, scrubbed and treated the trims with some conditioner, painted the fascia and console, installed the new head unit and I picked up a VY S2/HSV steering wheel for $90 off eBay which leaves the stock wheel for dead. Also covered the seats with some fluffy covers, does the job. Think I'll call the interior good enough for boost :)

Last edited:

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Yeah, looks boostable.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Looks good, seat covers make it look extra comfy, shame what he did to the seats though. you will enjoy it with forced induction . I'd go the side mount supercharger, but I'm bias, love the supercharger

Gaiter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder
$90 for a new steering wheel is an excellent deal!

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Have to admit looking like the Raptor side-mount is going to come up trumps. Finally got her retinted, nice clean 18% titanium, didn't realise how much I missed the film til I saw her.

After a week away up north I came back and the bugger decided to drop her radiator and exhaust (thanks to my fixation with puddles). Few bucks and a few hours and she was back to tip-top condition.

Last edited: