Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wierd VH SLE 308 Blue motor 3 spd

bertusmcspurtus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE 308
Gday, was wondering if anyone out there can help me. I have some strange issues with my car.
I have replaced all radiator hoses, thermostat, thermostat housing, belts, viscous fan, cleaned radiator (Tanks off, clean out reseal etc.), Block flush.
The bloody thing still at times overheats. There is no evidence of head gasket failure, oil is clean, and new coolant. Fan is like a cyclone!!!

In relation I cannot get the heater to work, The aircon works fine and the interior fan is fairly powerfull.

Also at times when I pull up and stop the vehicle and turn the engine off you can hear under the bonnet what can best be described as a slowish water hammer. (You know what you sometimes get in your plumbing at home) Very rythmic and slow approx 1 sec intervals then it subsides.

Is my VH posessed or what?

Extremely mystified

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
I see you said a block flush, what about the heads flushed out?. Hmmm the radiator fins could be stuffed.

Ahhh that 'water hammer" sounds like there is air in the cooling. You might need to bleed the air lock out.

I don't know much about VH SL/E heaters. But i think it somehow works with the air con. I know my VB does.

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
Could be a water pump problem take your radiator cap off and run your engine to see if you can see the coolant circulating. Sometimes waterpump impellers corrode away so they wont pump

bertusmcspurtus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE 308
yes it does overheat in summer never got to the stage of blowing hoses or anything but temp guage right up there. Thats another bizarre thing it does. you be cruising along and the temp guage will fairly quickly(30secs) get up to about 3/4, then hold and rapidly decrease(15-20secs) and hover about 1/4 or less.

kyleat1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ute
does she have a spring in the bottom rad hose as when she gets hot it squeezs tight or i find if you drill about 3 holes in the thermostate helps

bertusmcspurtus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE 308
kyleat1 said:
does she have a spring in the bottom rad hose as when she gets hot it squeezs tight or i find if you drill about 3 holes in the thermostate helps
thanks for idea. I'll try the holes idea and yes new bottom hose with spring.

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
Remove the thermostat.