Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

wierd vibration

rbrtm

Reaction score
Members Ride
vh wagon
i've got a vh wagon. it gets a wierd vibration that seems to come from the back end. had the wheels balanced but that justs seemed to make the vibe kick in a few km/h higher and a bit harsher. help. drives me mental. would like a list of ideas that i could go through one by one till i fix it. thanks

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
Wheel bearing, tailshaft, a bump in the tyres?

AndyVKSSA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR caprice 5ltr, VK group 3 rep 5ltr
try ya center bearing

fitykemp

VH SL/E 1981
Reaction score
Members Ride
81 SL/E
universal joints, common

synoptica

Stripping VK - PM me!
Reaction score
Members Ride
No longer a Commodore
I spend a few hundred trying to track down a vibration. Car was a bit out of tune so I had the carby looked at, was out of tune and the car did run better - but the vibration was still there. Got a new cap and rotor too, and reoiled my air filter... problem still existed (was pretty sure it wasn't any of this to start with but it needed doing regardless...)

Next was tailshaft balance, center bearing and unis. Almost $200 later, felt slightly better all round, but the vibration was just as bad as before.

Clutch needed doing too, so had this done. Problem solved! Car felt amazingly smooth (well, not Ecotec smooth but still a hell of a lot better). Clutch was rooted and a bit out of shape but the flywheel must've been warped to hell which would've contributed to the demise of the clutch, I'd say.

So - if it's a manual - get it sussed out. Don't know much on autos, but I've heard the flexplate can suffer similar warpage and will cause similar issues.

Good luck sorting it out :)

rbrtm

Reaction score
Members Ride
vh wagon
thanks guys should have mentioned,

efi v8
new gearbox
new clutch and flywheel
new tailshaft
new LSD diff

though the rear tyres don't have much left on them, would it be possible for me to notice a flat spot or something on them?
what are the odds that a new tailshaft is stuffed? because that was were i was headed next. after tyres that is. how much is it to check the balance on a tailshaft?

oh and i put all of the above in myself what are the odds i put the diff in backwards or something?;)