Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Window wiper, broken?

NO HOON

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV
Hey guys. Today i was driving on a highway in the rain, going 110. It had just started raining so i chucked on my wipers, but after a few cycles i noticed my drivers one getting a bit high between cycles. I kept on and it eventually bent around to the right during the 1st wipe and was stuck on top of my drivers mirror. Fortunately the rain stopped a little after that and i was able to see.

Just wondering if anyone can give me an idea of what may cause it? Would it be related specifically to the motor, or would it just be a screw that needs attention/replacing?

Thanks

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Couple of things to check.

1. See if the wiper is loose on its spindle. It might have worked its way up the spindle to the point where it was no longer engaged with the splines on the spindle. It might also be that the spline is worn but that's really unlikely.
2. The problem will probably be in the wiper linkage below the windscreen at the top rear of the engine bay. It could be a worn or broken pivot pin or damaged drive arm.

NO HOON

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV
Couple of things to check.

1. See if the wiper is loose on its spindle. It might have worked its way up the spindle to the point where it was no longer engaged with the splines on the spindle. It might also be that the spline is worn but that's really unlikely.
2. The problem will probably be in the wiper linkage below the windscreen at the top rear of the engine bay. It could be a worn or broken pivot pin or damaged drive arm.

Thanks for the reply, will have a look to see if anything is visibly broken or worn tomorrow.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Pry off the rubber cap where the wiper arm attaches and you might find the nut has come loose.

As far as I can remember, the linkages in the assembly are common to both wiper arms.
So if any part of the linkages fail, both wiper arm will go out of whack at the same time.
View attachment Front wiper arm.pdf

Last edited:

NO HOON

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV
Ended up tightening the nut on top of the motor shaft. It seems a bit better, but i can still certainly move the blade up and down, which in turn moved the shaft and nut. So i think there's too much play in the motor's shaft, so something's failed in the motor. I was advised to try a new blade, but i might just go ahead and replace the motor.

Can anyone confirm if they have a bit of play in the motor blade? I can move my blade up and down, wondering if that's normal or not. Thanks.

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
The wiper arm does not bolt up directly to the motor. It bolts up to a spindle which is connected to the motor by linkages. The spindle must have come loose.

NO HOON

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV
The wiper arm does not bolt up directly to the motor. It bolts up to a spindle which is connected to the motor by linkages. The spindle must have come loose.

Ahk, thanks for that. I'll pull it apart this weekend and have a look at it.