Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

wiring foglights to highbeam

B-Man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Calais S2
would there be an issue with wiring the foglights to highbeam
im thinking if i wired another relay to the highbeam switch and tapped into the foglight wiring after the current relay it would all work
but would there be a problem if the fog lights and highbeam switch were both on? (im no auto elec and think it would be fine but just want to confirm)

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
The fog lights should have its own relay already, just take the feed wire from it, and tap that into the high beam feed and ur done

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
fog lights are for fog and would be pointless comming on with the high beams and also against adr so could be a fine if a cop spots it, if they are driving lights then its ok to have on with high beam which u should have a switch to do anyway, hooking up to the same wiring as high beams can be ok but having two sets of high watt globes on the one circuit could be too much for the wiring/fuse and depending on the amps drawn could melt wiring over time...

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
you would send a feed from the high beams themselves to the coil of the relay for the foglights. You may need to reverse the polarity of it... I don't remember. But either way, you would need to diode isolate the two from each other.

B-Man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Calais S2
i dont want to cause a feed back or anything and still want to run fog lights separately if i want thats why im thinking another relay rather than tapping the other source wire into teh same feed of the current relay

fog lights are for fog and would be pointless comming on with the high beams and also against adr so could be a fine if a cop spots it, if they are driving lights then its ok to have on with high beam which u should have a switch to do anyway, hooking up to the same wiring as high beams can be ok but having two sets of high watt globes on the one circuit could be too much for the wiring/fuse and depending on the amps drawn could melt wiring over time...

i find it gives better spread of light around the car even with highbeams on so why not run them properly rather than leave them on like half the nob heads that drive with them on
also as far as the cop would be aware they would appear to be driving lights and they would dip with the highbeams not stay on i cant see how that is worse than running them with being able to dip

Attachments

• Spotlight Wiring2.jpg
    Spotlight Wiring2.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 6,826
Last edited:

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
you need to diode isolate them to prevent "feedback"

B-Man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Calais S2
would the picture above prevent feedback ?

axemurderer101

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VY SS
i did this in my vy ss, what i did was i got a separate relay an 4 pins that clip into your fuse box under the bonnet. There was an empty spot for the relay which i used, you have to pull the fuse box apart to get to the wiring for the foglight relay and the high beam relay. For pins 85 an 86 you want to tap into the highbeam 85 and 86 terminals which will trigger your new relay. For pins 30 and 87 you want to cut one of the trigger wires to the foglight relay and join 87 to one end of the cut wire and 30 to the other end of the wire. So now you just leave your foglight switch on and they will only come on with highbeam.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
i dont want to cause a feed back or anything and still want to run fog lights separately if i want thats why im thinking another relay rather than tapping the other source wire into teh same feed of the current relay

i find it gives better spread of light around the car even with highbeams on so why not run them properly rather than leave them on like half the nob heads that drive with them on
also as far as the cop would be aware they would appear to be driving lights and they would dip with the highbeams not stay on i cant see how that is worse than running them with being able to dip

That diagram won't work.
You have the fogs wire as positively switched, when actually they are negatively switched.

In fact, the exterior lights that are positively switched are the park lights, indicators, reverse, number plate and tail lights.
See diagram below.