Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wiring LED Daytime Running Lights (DRLs)

wazza675

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega Sportwagon
Hi
Got a set of cheap LED bars that I want to wire up to an Omega -> SS front conversion.

Where can i wire them into the engine bay fuse box? Preferably with pos and neg together.
Obviously I want them to only run when the car is switched on but I DON'T want to run them off the parkers. That way, they're proper DRLs and won't attract the constabulary!!!

I'll probably add a 5A in-line fuse while I'm there.

Sorry if it's been covered elsewhere... I've read posts on using the parkers, but I'd prefer not to!!

coo dawg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS LS1
I hooked mine up via a switch in the cabin. That way I have control over when I want them on or off. Just another option for you.....

Not sure if there is a fuse in the engine bay that you will be able to properly hook up a DRL style light that switches off automatically when you switch parkers on.

Someone will probably correct me on that though.

wazza675

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega Sportwagon
Doesn't need to switch off when the standard lights are on (parkers, low or high).
Just needs to switch on and off with the car, so they're not left on accidentally.

BigBoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Ignition relay in the engine fuse box, and just slap the negative on to the body somewhere.

wazza675

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega Sportwagon
Hey BigBoss...
How do I get into the wire?
Do I need to undo the two internal bolts that hold the fuse box together?
I undid the pins and pulled the box off the cradle where it sits to see where the looms plug in underneath... Do I pull the whole thing off and then take the loom plug out?
Any idea which wire?

Sorry, I'm used to working on bikes (hence Wazza675 [Daytona]) where there are many less wires, more slack in the looms and things are generally easy to find!!!

Thanks...
That would be less expense at the auto-elec's!!!

BigBoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
You could do it the hack way (the way i did it for about a year) and just solder a wire on to the relay. the relays have really long legs so it is quite simple to do. however it would be better to find the wire out of the fuse box.

veessv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS, VE SSV
Doesn't need to switch off when the standard lights are on (parkers, low or high).
Just needs to switch on and off with the car, so they're not left on accidentally.

The HSV turn off when the head lights are on only coz i guess holden were to lazy to wire in a dimmer like most euro cars have so I guess if you dont want to attract the cops at nite for being to bright better to have a switch, a relay and wired to acc so it comes on when you turn the key or with out switch just the relay and wired so when the head lights on they turn off

wazza675

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega Sportwagon
In case others are requiring this info, SweetWagon gave me the wiring info required (with many thanks!!)...

You need a SPDT (5 pin) relay.

30 - Ignition source
87a - DRL's +ve
85 - Parkers +ve
86 - Parkers -ve
DRL -'ve to earth point (car body)

If the ignition/power source is the ignition switch, it will allow the DRLs to run when the car's ignition is on, until the lights turn on when they will turn off... MAKING THEM LEGAL (as far as I know).
Now I'm hoping he'll give me some guidance on wiring the fogs.

BigBoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Your DRL's will take sweet FA current so you probably don't need the relay.

BigBoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Oh I see why it is there.... Why not run the DRLs all the time, that is how most cars work.