Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wiring LED Daytime Running Lights (DRLs)

Loaded Dice

.... Lets roll.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SSV Redline
Sorry... but please explain 'single throw'???

I understand the fogs should only be used in poor driving conditions (fog, rain, etc)... thanks.

They are actually intended to be used with headlights off, only parkers on and only in heavy fog. They are not DTRL or intended to replace DTRL in poor weather conditions. They are quite dangerous to use in wet non foggy conditions as the angle of the beam reflects from the wet road directly into the vision of oncoming traffic, effectively 'high beaming' them, which of course negates the 'safety aspect' if thats what you are using them for.

wazza675

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega Sportwagon
Anyone used 'wire taps' to bridge another relay?
Could I use one to get power?
Could I use on for the fogs?

BigBoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Looks interesting, but personally I would just splice in to the wires.

wazza675

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega Sportwagon
Diagrams would be great... Very useful for idiots like me!!!

The goody bag from Jaycar...
10A fuse tap
25A wire (for direct power to fogs) - next size they had was 58A that was far too thick
speaker wire that's different to the other stuff I have so I can see the difference!!
2x SPDT 5 pin relays (they'd sold out of the ones with fuses that I looked at last night)
2 inline fuse holders with 30A and 10A fuses
small switch with LED for the fogs
circuit test light

The engine bay fuse box has a 10A ignition fuse that I can tap for the fog power. I re-read SweetWagon's PM and he suggested a 20A fuse in the cabin but I was already at home, so I'll give this a go.

BTW (for all that care) the cabin fuse box is in the PASSENGER FOOT-WELL on the left-hand side, forward of the door.

StreetWagon suggested I could bridge the two relays but I'm still a little confused. There would be an advantage in that the parkers would only need each wire spliced once rather than for both the fogs and DRLs.

ADR 40

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Lumina..... VEII Equipe Sportswagon
Our local auto sparkies used this setup on our work vehicles which works well... hope this diagram helps.
I went with this setup putting DRL's on the wifes car and installed a switch between the ignition and relay line so I have the option of turning them off.

wazza675

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega Sportwagon
ADR 40s diagram looks the same as SweetWagon's recommendation however the 85 & 86 pin wiring is reversed.
Which is correct??
Also ADR 40s diagram uses a direct earth whereas Sweetwagon's uses the parker light earth.

Didn't get to tackle this today aside from getting the stuff from Jaycar. Hoping to get a look at SweetWagons diagrams first.

BigBoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
ADR 40 is correct 86 should be connected to the positive lead of the parkers. the parkers ground is the same as a direct ground so go with a direct ground as this way you will have less chance of over loading the parkers. BTW I would also go with LED parkers to reduce load and for looks.