Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wiring LED Daytime Running Lights (DRLs)

BigBoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Good work mate sounds like you are doing a quality job.

wazza675

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega Sportwagon
Functional yes... Quality... well maybe not.

I've no idea where to feed the wires into the cabin for the fog switch though...

BigBoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Good, there should be a grommet going in to the engine bay where the clutch would be. You can route wires through that. BTW I think this is correct I remember hearing it some time ago.

wazza675

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega Sportwagon
How do I pull off the panel with the light switch so I can drill and wire the fog switch?

Last edited:

BigBoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Just pull it down and towards you. but do you really want to put it there? I'm probably going to put mine in the tray under the head unit for a more stealth look.

wazza675

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega Sportwagon
Gotta love the little single use lock tabs most car manufactures use on the ABS plastic panels... not.

So it's all finally installed. Admittedly, I had a little trouble with the fogs...
Finding a path to run the wire from the engine bay was a challenge. In the end, I followed the path that the fat chunk of wire for the main wiring loom takes. There's a big grommet in the rear wall that's pretty flexible, so I stuck a 2m piece of 1/4" alloy tube down there till I found a route that poked out under the dash. I've mounted the switch to the left of the OEM one and it looks fine. I had everything wired up but couldn't get things to work. I checked the power source - fine. I switched the wiring around and isolated the switch and the fogs worked, so the switch was the fault. I got it all working in the end.

And to said switch... The little LED doesn't light when the circuit is complete. The switch works (ie turns the fogs on and off when rocked) but the LED doesn't illuminate. It's also not connected to an earth point, which doesn't seem to matter. The hole for the switch is a bit tight to get an extra female connector through as well for the earth. If I enlarge the hole, I need to somehow get the ring that holds it in behind it which is difficult as the panel is a double layer. I cut a thread in the current hole with a 12mm bolt and that seems to work well.
It is this style http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Switch-oval-rocker-20A-red-blue-green-yellow-LED-light-aust-seller-/150717146123?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item231771240b
Is the amperage of this switch too high?

I'm happy with the switch where it is (since it's pretty much the wife that drives the car) but would prefer one that lit up so at least she might see they're on.
Do I need an extra terminal so there is positive power going through it???

And to whoever organized the weather... you can go f*** yourself. It pissed rain most of the time. I had the car half in the garage with the trailer moved so I could just squeeze through to try and reduce the amount of rain I copped. I still got some in the car and there's water all over the shed floor now. Doesn't really make it that enjoyable...

Any suggestions for the switch??
Would one of these be better - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Switch-Push-Button-Off-Latching-12v-Blue-LED-Stainless-Steel-19mm-/150809278783?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item231ceef93f
Just have to work out the best way to enlarge the hole to19mm...

Last edited:

BigBoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
You could have the wires to the switch the wrong way around. This normally would not be an issue however LEDs are diodes hence they only work in one direction.