Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wm statesman legal 20i Tyre load rating

Jimbov8

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Statesman 6L
Hey guy's.
I bought a wm statesman a few months ago with the factory fitted 20's on it, Love the car except the tyre's are shithouse 7000 hi way k's and the sidewall's on the tyre's have huge cracks in them and 1 completely crapped out and now has huge cracks in it that i can literally fit 4 fingers into but some how still hold's air. And the rest have 6 to 12 inch cracks forming around them in multipull spots. This was a dealer bought car with roadworthy. There 235-20-35 tyres with a 95w load rating. Is that correct and legal? Cause if it's not the dealer will soon have a 20inch arsehole with cracks in the sidewall. If there ok i'll suck it up and foot the bill. Cheers

rx2_freak

Smokes, let's go.
Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Z SERIES SPORTWAGON
What brand are the tires, i would assume some Chinese ****. As for being a dealer bought car with roadworthy, it was when you brought it but isn't now. The size and load rating should be on the tyre placard inside the drivers door. They do sound like the correct size and load rating, although they've cheaped out and used the cheapest tires available.

If it was my car i would just bite the bullet and get some decent brand tyres with a load rating around the legal mark. At least then you'll know they're not going to fall apart and wreck your rims etc.

Jimbov8

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Statesman 6L
There Champiro or something like that. No doubt cheap crap and im happy to buy more tyres provided they are the right tyre's that are just crap. But if they are underrated i'd be making the dealer put a new set on. So im just checking before i dip into the back pocket.

rang427

3.6 luxury spec
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V 3.6 SIDI
There Champiro or something like that. No doubt cheap crap and im happy to buy more tyres provided they are the right tyre's that are just crap. But if they are underrated i'd be making the dealer put a new set on. So im just checking before i dip into the back pocket.

never heard of them. but i would recommend looking at bridgestones they are a little more expensive than similar tyres of the type but they are good quality and you can feel safe because thats what hsv used up until 2012. ( HRT is now sponsored by continental the reason why they are no longer put on hsvs)

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
1. The load rating minimum is stated on the tyre placard which is stuck on the pillar in the driver's door opening. So make sure the replacement tyres you buy meet the minimum. All the reputable brands in 245 35 20 (which is what you should run on a 20 x 8 inch or 20 x 8.5 inch rim) should meet the minimum and normally these are around 95 rating. (I would never trust the accuracy of the officially stated tyre load ratings on the cheap junk tyres sold in OZ).

There are many threads here with information on quality tyres in that size (245 35 20) fitted to Commodores and Statos.

2. The used car warranty (mandatory statutory warranty) applicable in QLD specifically excludes tyres and various other items so you can forget hitting on the car dealer for replacements.
(It is also easy enough to see if cheap junk tyres are fitted to a car you are considering buying before you put your money down and, if unsure, it's simple to check out.)

3. In any event, for a WM Stato (under 10 yo car) with under 160000 kms when purchased, the QLD used car statutory warranty covering defects is only applicable for 5000 kms or 3 months whichever comes first - subject to the list of Excluded Items (tyres , batteries and various other items).

4 . If the used car was sold with a dealer warranty which goes beyond this QLD Statutory Warranty, you will find that it also excludes any dealer liability for the tyres now fitted on the car.

Your post is a good example of what can happen if you fit cheap tyres to your car.

Last edited:

Jimbov8

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Statesman 6L
Thanks for the advice Guys I'm gunna head down to see what tyre's are available in 245 35 20 locally but definitely not cheap crap like what was on there. There dangerous those bloody thing's.
Cheers

rjp

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice with LS3
Champiros are a GT Radial tyre. They're not that cheap. I have the 18" version on my WM Caprice (245/45/R18) and they are step above the factory Bridgestones that were on it when I bought it. They're a lot quieter and have load more grip.

Sounds like yours may be old. What's the date stamp on the tyres?

Jimbov8

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Statesman 6L
I'll have a look at the date stamp tonight to see how old they really are. The car's an 06 model but only has 47'000k's on it now. It only had 40'000k's on it when i got it a few months back. So they may well be old they don't look it but. All had 90% plus tread when i bought the car now 3 have long crack's forming around the sidewall's and 1 the side wall completely crapped out with huge hole's blowing in the inside sidewall and then the inside of that tyre wore the tread of almost immedially (I noticed cause i could smell tyre's when i pulled up during the long trip we just went on) I checked them before we left and they where all good tread pressure etc.

rjp

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice with LS3
Mines an 07 model and it eats rear tyres. I'm no lead foot (not anymore...) The GT Radials on the front will last something like 30 to 40 thousand k's. But I only get about half of that out of the rears. So I'm now only buying new fronts and putting the old ones on the rear.

Apparently, Holden did a suspension mode late in 07 or 08 that allowed more control with the rear settings. I haven't chased it up with my suspension guy yet, but I'm intending to soon.

Jimbov8

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Statesman 6L
Sweet let us know how you go with that because mines doing the same dont know if the camber is out on the left rear or not but it's the tyre that went bald on the inside and let go.(the rest all still have cracks in the sidewall's and i wouldn't trust em round a fast corner) But on the other hand i've had the spare on the last 1500k's of the trip and it still looks brand new it's not wearing at all on the inside the 20 smelt like rubber when it was on after a few hundred k's when it warmed up. The right rear is definitely wearing more then the front to but it's still good. It still steer's perfectly straight does'nt pull or have vibration's or anything so im thinking the tyre's are just crap