Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

wobbly balancer - L98

sidespyder

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
I am going to get my balancer replaced as it is shaking badly and giving me squeaky belts.

Trying to avoid holden as I read others have just had the issue come back again, so I am thinking the powerbond (race) balancer + ARP bolt on an L98.

Anyone else have success with powerbond? Only concern I have is the keyway in the balancer.

POWERBOND BALANCERS TO SUIT HOLDEN COMMODORE VTII VX VY VZ VE VF L98 L77 LS1 LS2 LS3 5.7 6.0 6.2 V8 - Mace Engineering Group

I believe this is non-underdrive / standard belts replacement.

car_driver

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
Powerbond make great balancers, way better that the one from the factory. Never had an issue with mine and it's an 8 rib for the blower. An ARP bolt isn't really required but nice to have as it is the most highly tensioned bolt on the entire car - 240ftlbs! The balancer is held in place with just the pressure of the bolt as there is no key way to stop it spinning on the crankshaft.

sidespyder

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Powerbond make great balancers, way better that the one from the factory. Never had an issue with mine and it's an 8 rib for the blower. An ARP bolt isn't really required but nice to have as it is the most highly tensioned bolt on the entire car - 240ftlbs! The balancer is held in place with just the pressure of the bolt as there is no key way to stop it spinning on the crankshaft.

Thanks

Did you silicone the keyway? I'm reading some people do (recommended by powerbond) and some dont, just worried what a shop will think if I am supplying for fitment.

car_driver

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
Thanks

Did you silicone the keyway? I'm reading some people do (recommended by powerbond) and some dont, just worried what a shop will think if I am supplying for fitment.

Not sure, the tuner put the 8 rib kit on because I didn't have a torque wrench that was big enough and I didn't want to buy one for a single job. Don't think they used silicone on the keyway. If you're not planning to add a supercharger you should look at an under drive pulley since your swapping the balancer.

sidespyder

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Not sure, the tuner put the 8 rib kit on because I didn't have a torque wrench that was big enough and I didn't want to buy one for a single job. Don't think they used silicone on the keyway. If you're not planning to add a supercharger you should look at an under drive pulley since your swapping the balancer.

Yea I wasnt going underdrive just race (standard belts) balancer for the extra $100 over the standard (cast iron vs steel) but the race balancer has a keyway like the underdrive kits.

But I think I will just go with standard, for the same price I can get the following kit from GM Motorsport and not have to worry about a keyway (I dont have any power mods):

Balancer Package VE - GM Motorsport

What do you rekon?