Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wraiths 2004 VZ Berlina V8

Discussion in 'VY - VZ - WK - WL - V2' started by wraith, Jul 21, 2015.

1. wraith

wraith Hand over the dog bikkies

Members Ride:
    VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
    Due to clubby coming off the road soon for a resto I wanted a new car and here it is. Probably paid a bit too much for it at $4500 but oh well. 2 owner car. 185k kms. Needs a roadworthy and rego but there's some surface rust that needs taking care of first and a potential rear main or sump leak. Has a couple dings here and there but I prefer it so I don't have to freak out in shopping centres.

VF Storm rims came with it. Brand new tread. Got them for $650 so can't complain.
    [​IMG]

That booty. No idea why it has a weird V8 badge. Will probably take it off at some stage.
    [​IMG]

Some damage. For some reason it has a chrome strip on both sides. Not sure why.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Original owner got Holden to put Calais woodgrain in. No idea why.
    [​IMG]

Needs a wash but the mechanic it's at will wash it all out.
    [​IMG]

Rust. Been quoted couple hundred to sort it. Not through it's mainly surface.
    [​IMG]

2. wraith

Members Ride:
    Well got all the quotes sorted today. $1000 to get it roadworthy. $300 in rust repair. Needs new tyres but I'm picking up the new rims at some stage today for $650. Still leaves me with a little bit of mod money. More then enough to get a tune. Don't think I did too bad for a VZ

3. Trayner

Trayner Fresh prince of Pakky

Members Ride:
    Vz ss 6.0L Thunder , Vz S One Tonner
    Pretty good score for cheap man , I think that wood grain is a ebay type kit not holden

4. wraith

Members Ride:
    Well I would think so but the old guy that first bought it isn't the type to even use a computer and the next owner just drove and maintained it so I have no idea. Should be on the road tomorrow. Rust doesn't seem to be an issue for the roadworthy guy. Rear main seal, extension housing seal and the extension housing resealed, rear shocks and the poly bags removed because they are split and broken. That's the report from the roadworthy guy. Mechanic is getting it all done tonight for the guy to issue the roadworthy tomorrow.

5. NU13

NU13 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    2007 E1 HSV GTS Manual
    Looks good, a little work and it'll look mint. Whats the KW rating of a Berlina V8 compared to the V8 models, is the same output?

6. wraith

Members Ride:
    235kw for Berlina/Calais vs 255kw on the SS. Debate continues on what was changed but by the looks of things it's all in the exhaust and maybe a tune.

7. wraith

Members Ride:
    Well still another week before I get the car back. Found a broken engine mount as well so getting that sorted. Doing the plugs and leads as well as anything else that needs doing while it's sitting there. Has cut into the mods budget though so tossing up between CAI or tune. Don't really like OTRs and the VZ has a big intake and maf anyway.

8. exanVZ

exanVZ New Member

Members Ride:
    VZ SS
    Sounds like it's coming along nicely man, nice cheap v8 once it's all fixed up. If you got any money left best thing you could get for cheap would be some headers i reckon.

9. wraith

Members Ride:
    I have no idea which way I'm going to go. I don't want an OTR because I think they look tacky. That and on the VZ you need an extension for the IAC etc. which is even more messy. Thinking K&N Aircharger and a tune to begin with. At least I will actually be able to hear it. Not too much of a fan of the LS sound either.

10. exanVZ

exanVZ New Member

Members Ride:
    VZ SS
    Adding an OTR and a tune didn't change the sound at all on my SS, but adding the 4-1's made it sound a lot tougher, more pronounced 'pulse' note.
    I don't think they look that messy though, this is how mine looks. You can see the IAC extension in the pic but it doesn't jump out.

[​IMG]

No point getting a tune if you haven't done any mods, you may get 10-20 hp but you won't notice it and will probably use more fuel. I still think some headers would be money better spent.

11. wraith

Members Ride:
    Yeah seen yours. Looks alright. I had budgeted about a grand for mods but looks like it's going to be half that with the new stuff so not sure what to do. Car is completely stock so yeah not sure.

12. wraith

Members Ride:
    Well looks like no chance of picking the car up this week. Panel shop is running behind so won't even make a start on her till tomorrow if I'm lucky. Was hoping to have it by the weekend but that's blown out till Monday if I'm lucky. So far sitting at $1900 to get it on the road not including rego. Engine mount needing replacing as well and mechanic suggested the plugs and leads be done so just got it done. Oh and the key reader stopped working.

13. K-BAGZ

K-BAGZ De Plane! De Plane!

Members Ride:
    VR II S-pac V6 Ute / VZ SV6 Sedan / VZ R8
    How much is rego for 6 months? My new Clubsport is $500 plus!

14. wraith

Members Ride:
    Worked it out to be around 720 bucks for 6 months. It's crazy expensive but that's new rego with stamp duty and CTP.

15. K-BAGZ

Members Ride:
    Ahh I see. I just bought an Impulse Blue VZ R8, had it just over two weeks now. Rego runs out next month. QLD Transport said $524 for 6months and yet my VZ SV6 was around the same price... Unbelievable.

I'll do up a build thread on the weekend as its a bit difficult off an iPhone.

16. wraith

Members Ride:
    Sweet. Look forward to it. Small upgrade over a SV6 :p Yeah rego isn't as bad as every one makes it. There's hardly any difference between the wagon and clubby. Even insurance on the VZ is a few dollars more then the wagon and it's 3 years newer with a V8.

17. K-BAGZ

Members Ride:
    Yeah, I've had a hiatus from JC for awhile, a lot has changed. Going through all the old threads and seeing everyone's cars now is amazing!

Bloody oath, first V8 I actually own.

And I can't agree with you more on that one!

18. wraith

Members Ride:
    Well so much for having it back this week. Smash repair place has only just taken the car now. So much for Wednesday. So now it's Monday before I get it back. Feeling like I haven't even bought a new car with all the dramas. Poor mechanic stuck in the middle isn't impressed that they never even bothered to call me and let me know they were too busy. Could get it today in primer but what's the point.

Edit:
    Oh and they say the boot is stuffed and will need replacing if I plan to keep the car long term.

Edit x 2:
    Did some shopping to make myself feel better. Got a twin 2.5 catback coming and a tune. Yes budget stuff but should still make it move. Haven't driven it for more then 2 minutes so should be interesting.

Edit 3: Bought a strut brace for it as well. Does nothing being the factory one but looks better and it already has the studs so why not.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  19. K-BAGZ

Members Ride:
    And the addiction begins! What brand catback you end up getting, and did you get a genuine strut brace?

Sucks you haven't gotten it back yet, I'd be anxious as shit!

20. wraith

Members Ride:
    Genuine strut brace so probably won't do much but the studs are there so why not. Just a supercat cat back. Cheap I know but still will allow me to at least hear the V8.