Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ya want the info? Read this

Evman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS M6
Everything I'm saying about the VE is compiled from Wheels and Motor, definatelly the most reliable source when it comes to these things, so when I say "is" or "will be" it's still not definate. Firstly, there are huge lawsuits waiting for employees at Holden who sneak information about concepts/future production cars etc, so those involved with these vehicles aren't gonna give up information easily, so don't take an "employee's" word as gospel, they're probably just makin stuff up to sound special.

The Torana was (like most concept cars...from Holden at least) was a test bed to guage public reaction on specific designs, and is definatelly not exaclty what the VE will look like. Don't forget, the Cross8 concept was the first with the angled rather than curved headlights, the UTEster was the first to have the Monaro yellow (which Ford have now copied and blasted it into non-exclusivity) and the SSX styled the VZ front bumber. Maybe the Torana was modelling a new colour too?!?! (Although pictures make the colour look crap, but in real life it's pretty damn nice)

The VE has been designed to hold the engines both low and as far back in the vehicle structure as possible, resulting in much better weight distribution and lower CoG. Remebering that everything on the VE is a new design, the front suspension will be a similar MacPherson (how ever ya spell it) setup (single A-arm). The rear will be a fully independent setup (current is semi-independent) with complexity surpassing even high end euro's like Mercedes (lets hope complexity doesn't result in too much weight gain). The style with still "resemble" the VZ because the current Ute and (I think) wagon (?) will continue for a while, however the long wheel based models will not be a carry over (for export).

The fuel tank will be ahead of the rear axle (again for weight distribution, but also for export) allowing for a deaper boot (which is supposed to be huge), although the boot opening is aparently quite small, due to the stubby back end. The muffler system (except cats of course) with all be behind the rear axle for cabin noise reduction. The windscrean will be heavily raked (Monaro heavy!) for pedestrian safetly, and the rear will also be a sleaker angle (both of which greatly reduce wind resistance). Wheel arches will have enough room to accomidate up to 20inch rims easily.

The interior will be a lot more spacious, although overall dimensions aren't that different to the current model. One way this is done is by having much thinner front seat backs. All cabin components (dash, console, everything) will be new. The centre brake light will be mounted on the ceiling, allowing more creativity with spoilers.

And, I've just had a mental blank (I'm doing all this from memory). Don't forget, the VE will be ALL new. There was someone a while ago that said "I don't like it, it doesn't look anything like a Commodore". The VN didn't look anything like the VL, the VT didn't look anything like the VS. It wouldn't really be all new if they looked the same now would they? Holden is banking close to 3/4 of a billion on the VE, so it's not gonna be ugly, but then again looks are all personal preference.

If there's anything I've missed or anything I've got wrong, please correct me. Hope that's cleared up any doubts.

Evman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS M6
It's also gonna have plastic front guards to keep the weight down. Certainly no world first, but maybe an Australian first?

Snap

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY2 Commodore
I'm really looking forward to see what the VE will be like.

Will it be called VE now that it's not based on a Opel/Vauxhaul? Will it still be called a Commodore?

I don't like the idea of a smaller boot opening. This is the biggest problem with the boot in my VY. That and no split fold rear seats.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I hope they got rid of that stupid hazzard light button in the middle of the VY VZ dash drives me insane everytime I look at it

Evman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS M6
The TT36 had a start button in about the same spot as the hazzard light button, lets hope they get negative feedback for that too

vztrt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Exec
Good to see the commodore will finally have good handling. IRS doesnt mean heavy. Ford dropped 70kg when they went from the AU IRS to the BA IRS.
The rumour going around is that the Battery will be at the back due to a stuff up in design.

Evman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS M6
Whose to say it's a stuff up? There'd be better weight distribution if the battery was in the boot.

vztrt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Exec
Evman said:
Whose to say it's a stuff up? There'd be better weight distribution if the battery was in the boot.

That's true and Holden marketing might use it. But I'd doubt that it would be intentional.