Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Yet another abs and trac issue

soleit

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE SS-V
I've searched for the past few weeks and find heaps of threads about this issue but they all have the engine light on. This is my 09 SSV wagon. My abs and stability off warning started when I backed the car out, put the handbrake on and suddenly up flashes abs off and stability control off. Figured I may have bumped the stability switch, pressed it, nothing. Turned the car off, restarted and came back on as soon as the system check was finished. Every time I drive it does it, as soon as check system is done 3 beeps and the warnings and ESP OFF sits on the bottom of the screen. I can still use the trip button to flick through (I like the speed on screen) and ESP OFF still shows, abs light on top right of dash, brakes work fine and nothing seems to be wrong. Bought new wheel speed sensors just in case (not installed, not looking forward to it), would they fix this, new battery, what?

I ran my obd reader (torque pro on android) which found nothing, done a code clear anyway but still the same.

If it makes any difference, only mods done so far are tailpipes and VCM MAF CAI with the new adaptor for the MAF pipe to prevent engine code errors.

Cheers

Last edited:

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
I had a dodgy wheel sensor in the front that did that when I went to drive oneday, once the message appeared it didn't go away until I had replaced the wheel sensor and went to drive it again the system corrected its self and has been good.

soleit

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE SS-V
I had a dodgy wheel sensor in the front that did that when I went to drive oneday, once the message appeared it didn't go away until I had replaced the wheel sensor and went to drive it again the system corrected its self and has been good.

Did you scan for an error first?

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Does your OBD reader read all modules or just Engine? Needs to communicate with EBCM to get relevant codes.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
torque pro + elm327 didn't produce anything

soleit

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE SS-V
Does your OBD reader read all modules or just Engine? Needs to communicate with EBCM to get relevant codes.

Reads all. So same scan result as you Stooge. I'll get some front sensors too than, may as well change the lot seeing the car is reaching 8 years old.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
There is another issue which can cause problems, the rear sensors read off the face of the wheel bearing, debris can build up on the bearing and mess with the sensor. Unfortunately you can't get at the bearing to clean it without separating the hub and axle which usually results in the bearing separating and requiring replacement. Sensors very rarely fail on these cars it's usually harness breaks or the issue I mentioned above.